Freshening Up an 1100

More
26 Jun 2007 04:56 #152760 by KZDave
Freshening Up an 1100 was created by KZDave
My 1100 has always burn/leaked some oil, seeming only under acceleration. So I am beginning to plan my engine freshening for the winter months. I'd like to get a little more kick out of the motor and I have a few questions;

1. What is the advantage to swapping the J-model head? I see a few people have done that. Is it pretty much just as good to have the 1100 head with a port and polish?

2. I'd like to go a little bigger what is the best shop to talk to as far as over boring? (Can these motors be over bored or do you get new sleeves for the cylinder or what?) Where would I get pistons?

3. Cam shaft/spring/valve train hard recommendations? What company makes the best cams for these bikes?

4. With a bored over/larger displacement engine, with cams, a pipe, and filters is it also necessary to upgrade the carbs? Any recommendations here?

Thank you much for your advice in advance. I've built a performance motor for car before but it seems an AMC V8 and a Kawa I4 are quite a bit different!

--Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jun 2007 06:07 #152774 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Freshening Up an 1100
KZDave wrote:

1. What is the advantage to swapping the J-model head? I see a few people have done that. Is it pretty much just as good to have the 1100 head with a port and polish?

The 1100 already has the "J" head

2. I'd like to go a little bigger what is the best shop to talk to as far as over boring? (Can these motors be over bored or do you get new sleeves for the cylinder or what?) Where would I get pistons?

KzZone at APE

3. Cam shaft/spring/valve train hard recommendations? What company makes the best cams for these bikes?

KzZone at APE

4. With a bored over/larger displacement engine, with cams, a pipe, and filters is it also necessary to upgrade the carbs? Any recommendations here?

My suggestion is MegaSquirt EFI , others will suggest carbs

Thank you much for your advice in advance. I've built a performance motor for car before but it seems an AMC V8 and a Kawa I4 are quite a bit different!

--Dave

Basic principles are the same, more air in, more power (and heat) out :)

Post edited by: steell, at: 2007/06/26 09:08

KD9JUR

More
26 Jun 2007 07:43 #152795 by KZDave
Replied by KZDave on topic Freshening Up an 1100
I considered the MegaSquirt for the car for a long time but just kind of wanted it done. I suppose I could just use throttle bodies and injectors from one of the EFI bikes, eh?

Dave

More
26 Jun 2007 16:06 #152929 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Freshening Up an 1100
KZDave wrote:

I considered the MegaSquirt for the car for a long time but just kind of wanted it done. I suppose I could just use throttle bodies and injectors from one of the EFI bikes, eh?

Dave

1100 throttle bodies show up on eBay reasonably often, get the 84 ones if possible. I am in the process of trading two sets of 1984 1100 throttle bodies for two 750 Turbo throttle bodies to go on two 750 fours.
Still have to buy one more MegaSquirt though.

KD9JUR