Smoke from right exhaust when engine is hot

More
25 Jun 2007 10:18 #152571 by sorner
Here's the thing. My KZ305 engine is blowing some smoke from the right side when the engine is hot, and after I come to a stop at a redlight or something like that. If I rev the engine it blows out a pretty decent cloud. I don't think it looks like oil smoke, it's not thick enough for me to tell. I think it's rich smoke. I thought maybe the carb slide on that side was sticking so I ripped the whole carb down (cleaned it up a little while I was in there) swapped the slides, and put it all back together, and it still does it. I also removed the spark plug wire and started it up to see if the smoke stopped, and the smoke still comes out just the same running on the opposite cylinder. All signs point to valve seats but I dont think it's oil smoke. It's not light blue smoke. The engine runs great, doesn't misfire at all, the plugs burn clean, I just dont know where to go from this point. The only other thing I can think of is to remove the pipes and fire it up and see if smoke comes directly from the cylinder, like maybe there is oil down the right side pipe that is burning off. I've only logged about 500 miles so far this year since it started smoking in the spring after I got it out this year.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jun 2007 10:48 #152575 by floridamba
Replied by floridamba on topic Smoke from right exhaust when engine is hot
if the smoke is kind of blue/white it's probably oil (rings, valves, etc.) or if it's black, it's probably fuel-related.

What color is it?

More
25 Jun 2007 11:48 #152585 by sorner
Replied by sorner on topic Smoke from right exhaust when engine is hot
I think it's greyish black, but again, I can't be totally sure because it's faint enough, and I'm colorblind enough, thats a bad combination. It doesn't smell like oil smoke, it smells like gas smoke. Also it doesn't linger like a mosquito fogger.