Serious Problem?

More
20 Jun 2007 19:28 #151320 by Norseman
Serious Problem? was created by Norseman
Folks, I could really use some advice here. I noticed a spot of oil on my garage floor directly underneath the left side geneator cover seam. When I loosened the bolts and cracked the cover open a bit, I drained 10 fluid ounces of oil.

Now, typically I wouldn't expect any oil in here, but as I read the Kawasaki Shop Manual (page 6-31 Alternator Cover Removal), the manual states "place an oil pan beneath the alternator cover". If it's supposed to be no oil in there, why would there be a need for an oil pan?

Either way, 10 fluid ounces seem to be very excessive. Could any of you folks advise me on where this oil comes from, and what the fix is? I haven't removed the cover yet because the clutch cover needs to come off first to disconnect the alternator leads that feed into the alternator cover, and the clearance between my frame and clutch cover (or lack of clearance) necessitates lowering the engine a tiny bit to negotiate the clutch cover off. I just can't imagine the stator is supposed to be covered in engine oil?

I would greatly appreciate any and all help here!

Post edited by: Norseman, at: 2007/06/20 22:29

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
20 Jun 2007 19:41 #151327 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic Serious Problem?
I'm not 100% sure if the '80's model 1000's were like that, but the generator on the earlier 900's and 1000's were "oil bathed".
If the '80~ models were the same, it's more than likely the grommet for the stator wires where it exits the cover that is leaking.
They're are notorious for doing that.

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
20 Jun 2007 20:24 #151346 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Serious Problem?
There's always oil in there. Nothing to worry about. I'm not sure if oil is really supposed to be in there, but always is to some extent. None of mine ever leak though.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
20 Jun 2007 21:00 #151353 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Serious Problem?
It's all good Norseman...that IS an oil-bathed alternator.;)

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
20 Jun 2007 21:09 #151357 by Norseman
Replied by Norseman on topic Serious Problem?
You folks rock!!! Obviously you just lifted a big ol' boulder off my chest:) I think I will remove the cover anyway to apply some gasket sealant to the grommet (per manual) to stop the small leak (I despise oil leaks).

Thanks so much to all of you for responding so quickly to my question, I really appreciate your help!

More
20 Jun 2007 21:26 #151366 by AR15Ron
Replied by AR15Ron on topic Serious Problem?
Watch your fingers putting the cover back on, the alternator magnets like to grab it out of your hands ;)

More
20 Jun 2007 21:30 #151367 by Sandy
Just so You know...when You pull that cover,the starter gear will more than likely fall out...don't panic,but be ready to catch it(it's up near the top,to the right).It will go right back into place easily, when You're ready to put the cover back on.This usually only falls off when the bike is on the kick-stand,when You remove the alternator cover.B)

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
20 Jun 2007 21:32 #151368 by Sandy
AR15Ron wrote:

Watch your fingers putting the cover back on, the alternator magnets like to grab it out of your hands ;)

So THAT'S what happened to Your Wedding-Ring!:ohmy: :laugh:

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
20 Jun 2007 22:36 #151381 by Norseman
Replied by Norseman on topic Serious Problem?
Thanks again, folks. That falling starter gear sounds similar to my Suzuki GS650, and yes, it fell out, and at the time, yes, I did panic (first bike I worked on). It's funny in hindsight, but when you're a novice and something drops out of the engine and you don't have a clue what you're doing, that familiar sinking feeling sets in!

Once again, the forum saved the day! I love these bikes, and when something like this occurs, it's a great comfort to know I can always trust you folks to provide answers and advice. So when you all take time to provide feedback and help, know that it is greatly appreciated and a blessing to many.

More
21 Jun 2007 05:59 #151408 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Serious Problem?
Since there is oil in the alternator cover and the wires must come out of the cover, Kaw uses a rubber "grommet" where the wires push through small holes. The oil gromment on the J motor is a much better design than the earlier 903/1015cc engines but it is still a very likely place where the leak is occuring. Buy a new one and install. Most folks coat the inside; especially the the seams where the grommet meets the case and the holes where the wires poke through with hi-temp silicon. You will have cut/undo the wires from the alternator and then reattach them. I have done it on a J motor (it has been awhile) and believe they are soldered to the alternator windings.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!