oil leaking

More
29 Dec 2005 17:34 #15109 by azchili
oil leaking was created by azchili
i have a question about the base gasket on my 77 kz1000a.i just finished rebuilding my engine,used all new parts along with new gaskets.the cylinders were bored 1mm over with a one piece head gasket.started it up christmas morning and watched as oil poured out between the base gasket and block.(in the corners in the rear).do i not have the head gasket torqued down enough?i read some post about the one peice head gasket being torqued tighter than the factory torque.what do you guys recommend for the torque?i did put the new orings in under the cylinders.could oil be getting by those orings.its leaking bad enough not to be able to run it more than 15 seconds.i really don't wan't to tear it back down but it looks like i might have too.just putting feelers out. thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Dec 2005 00:46 #15164 by Garn
Replied by Garn on topic oil leaking
Azchili, The oil is leaking at the base gasket. This position that you describe, is where the oil is pumped via the barrels and head to the cam-shaft bearings and other areas.

There are dowels in this position on both sides and there is a slight cut-away to allow the oil to be directed up the outside barrel/ hesd studs.
I suspect these dowels have not correctly seated or the head gasket is not allowing the oil to flow freely to the cam-shaft and seeping out at the base gasket.

Reluctantly, I think it might have to be a quick pull-down rather than more torque on the head nuts. I would check that the oil is getting to the camshaft first!

Regardz

1 x 73 Z1 (Jaffa), 74 Z1A, 76 Z900-A4
1 x 73 Yamaha TX500 & 98 fzx250 Zeal
Sydney Australia

More
30 Dec 2005 06:38 #15184 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic oil leaking
As Garn noted, the location describes the oil journals that carry oil up to the cam shafts. Were the locating dowels in place when you installed the block?

You should put your bike year/model and your location in your signature so we would have an idea which bike we are talking about and if there is someone local, he might be able to give a hand...

OK... I WOULD try torque on the stud nuts first. Since I don't know what type bike, I will take a guess it is a 900? The 900 is first torqued to 18 lbs. in a pattern as described in the shop manual. It basically works around starting in the center and working out. Then you go through the retorque at 25 lbs in the same pattern and also torque the two small 6mm bolts on the ends in the same torquing pattern.

As Garn noted, there is mostly likely missing oil journal dowels but it is worth trying the re-torque first. Did you put some silicon around the inner studs as they come up out of the upper case?

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
30 Dec 2005 08:38 #15211 by azchili
Replied by azchili on topic oil leaking
yes to the silicone around the studs.it does make sense.i will do a quick tear down and inspect the oil journals passages.come to think about the dowels i did have problem with one of them.it might be the problem and i think it might be the side thats leaking the most.i let the bike run only 15 seconds so i don't know if the cams got any oil or not.i did crank it over before i did start it to build oil pressure(with plug out until oil light went off).i will let you know what i find.wg thank you.i will put type of bike in my signature

More
30 Dec 2005 09:50 #15223 by RomSpaceKnight
Replied by RomSpaceKnight on topic oil leaking
I would look at those dowels.

But my reason for posting this reply is the mention of silicone. I would imagine that "silicone" is just being used as a generic term for automotive sealant or liquid gasket. What is generally referred to as silicone is your standard bathtub silicone sealant. This stuff is death to a motor. A piece of it breaks away and plugs an oil pathway and you are !@#$%^. Never use "silicone". Always use a proper liquid gasket or automotive sealant.

More
30 Dec 2005 13:19 #15272 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic oil leaking
Actually RTV is silicon and when you seal the inner studs, there is no chance of this stuff getting into the crankcase. The cylinder studs fit down into threaded holes but there are channels around them. In order that moisture doesn't get in around the base of the studs where they screw in, you can use RTV, Bathtub silicon or any other sealant. This sealant is several inches of metal away from the crankcase and is under the base gasket. I actually use Hi-Temp Permatex RTV liquid gasket maker which is silicon based. This goop can also be used in lieu of the rubber o-rings under the cylinder liners as many have used it in the past. I don't like using Hondabond HT for this stuff as it doesn't set up and cure well in the absence of air.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
30 Dec 2005 18:12 #15310 by azchili
Replied by azchili on topic oil leaking
well i have to admit i feel stupid.i went out too look at the bike to plan my attack.as i looked closer i noticed something sticking out between the cylinder and block.upon closer examination i found out why it was leaking oil.i had put the gasket on backwards.meaning the tabs that fit on the back were on the front. i have to tear it back down but won't make that mistake again.thanks for all your input.it's close to being done and i can't wait to ride:huh: