Aluminum Hairline Fractures in Oil Pan

More
18 Jun 2007 18:58 #150730 by AlexV
Hey Guys, I recently removed the oil pan from my bike and upon inspection I noticed many small fractures scattered throughout the inside. :( They resemble very old paint that is cracking. It doesn't look too serious (but what do I know, lol). I was just wondering if anyone had a similar experience because I planned on drilling the oil plug for a re-thread but now I am questioning the condition of the oil pan itself. If the pan is no good my only other option is to get another used pan off ebay, and that also looks kind of sketchy. I feel like I'm in between a rock and a hard place right now. I'll try to get a pic up ASAP of the pan.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jun 2007 20:40 #150756 by The Milkman
Replied by The Milkman on topic Aluminum Hairline Fractures in Oil Pan
They are probably just casting flaws, aluminum will get lines like that when it is cast,,, it doesn't leak any does it? The bottom of it probably looked about the same before it was finished and polished.

Post edited by: The Milkman, at: 2007/06/18 23:42

78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.

More
18 Jun 2007 21:06 #150762 by AlexV
Replied by AlexV on topic Aluminum Hairline Fractures in Oil Pan
The Milkman wrote:

They are probably just casting flaws, aluminum will get lines like that when it is cast,,, it doesn't leak any does it? The bottom of it probably looked about the same before it was finished and polished.<br><br>Post edited by: The Milkman, at: 2007/06/18 23:42

Thanks for the reply Milkman. When I picked the bike up there were no oil leaks what so ever. I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't an early warning sign of headaches to come. Tomorrow morning I'll have a camera to upload some pics with so everyone can see the oil pan.

More
18 Jun 2007 21:19 #150769 by Mark Wing
Replied by Mark Wing on topic Aluminum Hairline Fractures in Oil Pan
Don't worry about it. That's normal.
Mark

Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

More
19 Jun 2007 08:17 #150847 by AlexV
Replied by AlexV on topic Aluminum Hairline Fractures in Oil Pan
Guess I got all worked up over nothing. :blink: Here's a pic of the oil pan so future readers have a face to go with the name.

Attachments:

More
19 Jun 2007 09:54 #150861 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic Aluminum Hairline Fractures in Oil Pan
I have that on my pan to. Nothing to worry about. Heads crack before the oil pan and even cracks in the head are rare

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean