z1000 rattle

More
16 Jun 2007 14:10 #150015 by martijn
z1000 rattle was created by martijn
My engine does have a rattle. it's only present a idle below 1300rpm, above she spins like a cat.
Valvetrain, camchain, idlers, cams, ignition, carbs syncronized is all within specs.
Can this rattle/clatter being caused by the clutch??
I already got the plates out and noticed that de clutch house can be wobbled...
Someone who recognize this???

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jun 2007 09:12 #150182 by tjettim
Replied by tjettim on topic z1000 rattle
Does the noise go away or change when you pull
in the clutch? Does it rattle more with the engine
cold or hot? Inspect the mounting nut,cushion springs
and backing plate.On Suzukis I had problems in these areas,been lucky on the KZ.

More
17 Jun 2007 11:42 #150211 by martijn
Replied by martijn on topic z1000 rattle
Seems to get less when clutch pulled. Sound is only present when warmed up simply because it won't idle when cold..

More
26 Jun 2007 06:18 #152778 by martijn
According to my kawadealer it seems to be the damper in the clutch who is making the noise.
In the clutch aree 6 springs located, are they having some "fatique"problems?? and are they replaceable??

More
26 Jun 2007 07:42 #152794 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic z1000 rattle
I hate to make assumptions about what bike we are talking about... there are a LOT of 1000cc models... is this a 1015cc or J motor? The springs on the 1015cc version are definitely available. Not sure what a "damper" is...

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
26 Jun 2007 08:48 #152820 by hwms
Replied by hwms on topic z1000 rattle
martijn wrote:

According to my kawadealer it seems to be the damper in the clutch who is making the noise.
In the clutch aree 6 springs located, are they having some "fatique"problems?? and are they replaceable??

I would think he was talking about the starter "clutch". There is a rubber damper that stabilizes the large starter gear. If worn out the gear can flop around and ruin the needle bearing. See if you can track the noise to the left side of engine. Use mechanics Stethescope.

More
26 Jun 2007 09:09 #152831 by modprod
Replied by modprod on topic z1000 rattle
martijn wrote:

Yes there are "dampner springs" in the backing plate assy. They very commonly become sacked out and rattle around at idle. They are "rebuildable" APE sells the rebuild kits.

More
26 Jun 2007 10:24 #152850 by kawtoy
Replied by kawtoy on topic z1000 rattle
It is very hard to find noises unless the bike is running perfect. Since it won't idle right now I would say something is wrong with the carbs or timing. After getting the bike running good then it should be easier to find the noise. It might even go away

Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

More
26 Jun 2007 12:35 #152885 by hwms
Replied by hwms on topic z1000 rattle
modprod wrote:

martijn wrote:

Yes there are "dampner springs" in the backing plate assy. They very commonly become sacked out and rattle around at idle. They are "rebuildable" APE sells the rebuild kits.

Shaft drive and ZR1100A

More
26 Jun 2007 23:46 #153035 by martijn
It's a kz1000 engine of 1978. The first mechanical noise i had was deu the bad rubber dampner behind the generator cover (on the crank thats is). It made the crank moving sideways.
I was also suspected the carbs and ignition but those are fine.
I'll remove my clutch .. let you know what the problem was!!
Thanks.