bench shimming?? APE

More
24 Jun 2007 19:41 #152429 by atp
Replied by atp on topic bench shimming?? APE
I'm missing something here on the procedure. How does the shim stay balanced on the stem? After you remove the collets do you leave the springs? So far i have all the springs removed and proceeeded to do one valve but could not get the shim to rest on top of stem. Thanks for the help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jun 2007 21:14 #152453 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic bench shimming?? APE
Put the bucket in the hole and the shim on the bucket. I wish I would have remembered to do it this way before I put my head back together last week. I did get it shimmed with the springs in today but it was a bitch.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
24 Jun 2007 21:24 #152457 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic bench shimming?? APE
You have the head on a couple of 2 by 4s so the valves wont hit the bench. Some guys turn the cam with a piece of aluminum acting like a screw driver against the teeth of the can sprocket and turn the cams. Othere bolt the cam in four times.

No need to take the head apart.

Jay

More
25 Jun 2007 06:24 #152509 by cnyl
Replied by cnyl on topic bench shimming?? APE
I kinda understand what you guys are saying, but could someone please post step by step instructions on how to do the bench shim. I'm getting ready to re seat the valves and put new valve seals in.

You have the head on a couple of 2 by 4s so the valves wont hit the bench. Some guys turn the cam with a piece of aluminum acting like a screw driver against the teeth of the can sprocket and turn the cams. Othere bolt the cam in four times.
Jay

So.... I do this after I put the head back together before it goes back on the bike? Will I still be able to turn the cams individually?
Thanks;)

1982 KZ1000 M2 CSR
North Port, FL

Check out my band
www.myspace.com/tukrhill

More
25 Jun 2007 06:33 #152514 by 79MKII
Replied by 79MKII on topic bench shimming?? APE
APE Jay wrote:

Jay

Jay - I've been following this thread trying to get an answer to one question...

Isn't bench shimming done to a completely assembled head?? I thought the main reason for bench shimming is when the shop only has the head and not the whole engine. So if my head is sent to APE for new valves, porting, etc... and I request bench shimming, it would be done to the COMPLETELY assembled head, correct?? It's mainly to get you in the ball park for final assembly isn't it? I realize this means that new cams are also being installed or the old ones need sent in. Thanks

Post edited by: 79MKII, at: 2007/06/25 09:34

The Kaw List:
Current: 79 KZ1000 A3 MKII, 78 KZ1000 A2, 78 KZ1000 Z1-R, 78 KZ650 SR, 80 KE175
Former: 03 KLX400SR, 99 ZRX1000, 82 KZ750 LTD, 80 KZ1000 A4 MKII, 80 KZ1000 LTD, 78 KZ1000 A2, 74 H-2 750 Triple, 78 KL250

More
25 Jun 2007 14:07 #152617 by MkII
Replied by MkII on topic bench shimming?? APE
fwiw APE did a complete overhaul on my head and it's fully assembled as I recieved it. I just follwed the same procedure as you normally would to check clearances and shim to spec. I torqued the cam caps to spec assuming this would provide the most accuracy, and rotated the cams clockwise by using a 10mm wrench on the cam sprocket bolts to overcome spring tension, effort was minimal. first time for me but it seems simple enough and waaay easier than with the frame obstruction while on the bike.

1977A1 current project: 1075, Web cams, VM29's Cavanaugh massaged head, Z1 crank

1979A3A Parked in 1986 left in shed

Phx,Az

More
25 Jun 2007 17:09 #152662 by atp
Replied by atp on topic bench shimming?? APE
Thanks, I got it now, leave everything together and shim if as on the bike. I was confused on how to turn the cams. Will try 10mm or piece of metal in end slot.

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
More
25 Jun 2007 20:45 #152714 by CoreyClough
Replied by CoreyClough on topic bench shimming?? APE
My 615 Kit is from APE, and they rebuilt my head too. I know it was almost a year ago, but it's in the works to be "bench shimmed" and installed soon. Damn! Been that long? Holy Schnikees!!! :ohmy:

So Jay, what bikes do you own?

We respect you on this site, for you input, and information.

Rode the trip home from The 2003 LA-B-to-V 280 Mile thru the California Desert, with John Nave. He's the reason I went with APE for my Streetbike Work.

Back to the topic at hand.

'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp

More
25 Jun 2007 21:56 #152731 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic bench shimming?? APE
Bench shimming is performed on a completely assembled head. You are shimming it just like you would if it was on the engine. You can turn the cams just like the poster above said he did. You should only have one cam in the head at a time so you will not risk valve to valve interference.

What is the purpose of this. Just incase you find a valve that is "too tight" and won't shim (valve would need tipped) you will find it before the head has been installed, which would mean removintg it and wasting a head gasket.

Experienced engine builders always do this to shim type heads that have had valve jobs done to them.

As for complete assembled heads from APE, we do not shim them. We do most of them for shops that are set up to shim.

Jay

PS don't have any motorcycles at this time.

Post edited by: APE Jay, at: 2007/06/26 00:58

More
26 Jun 2007 05:26 #152767 by cnyl
Replied by cnyl on topic bench shimming?? APE
Cool, I got it now.... Sometimes a little brain fade slides in here...lol 10mm on the cam sprocket. Gotcha!
;)

1982 KZ1000 M2 CSR
North Port, FL

Check out my band
www.myspace.com/tukrhill