Changed valves/ won't start

More
28 Dec 2005 21:49 #14960 by dbek
Changed valves/ won't start was created by dbek
Had a leaky valve block due to a mishap that fractured it so I put another one on from the same model with less miles. I pulled the valves out and cleaned and checked them and put it back together before I put it on my bike. I followed the manual and double checked everything but this is the first time I've done this so I've missed something.
It turns over but won't start and has no compression. I'm getting gas and spark. My cam chain tensioner firmed up the cam chain fine. I went back with the original cam chain and cams. Valve clearances are within specs.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Dec 2005 22:08 #14962 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Changed valves/ won't start
You probably have the cam timing way off, maybe 180 degrees. It would help if you would specify the year and model of the bike. :)

KD9JUR

More
28 Dec 2005 23:34 #14971 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic Changed valves/ won't start
Yes.... Sounds like the cams are in wrong. You risk damaging the valves if you turn the motor over with the cams out of time.

Jay

More
29 Dec 2005 05:47 #14992 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Changed valves/ won't start
If you checked compression and there was none, the valves are very likely bent at this point. To put your bike year/model along with your location in your signature is very helpful. There are kzrider members all around the country willing to help or give advice.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
29 Dec 2005 06:46 #14999 by dbek
Replied by dbek on topic Changed valves/ won't start
Should I pull the valves back out and check for "true" or is there a quicker way I can go about it. Also for checking the cams, when I put them in I set them as the book would have me do, (I think), of course now I'm 2nd guessing myself. I counted the 28 pins and lined up the "28" on the intake cam but could I have gotten my exhaust cam 180 off?

Thanks for all the help and I hope my signature comes through if not it's a 1977 KZ1000A1 and I'm in South Haven Kansas.

More
29 Dec 2005 06:58 #15003 by dbek
Replied by dbek on topic Changed valves/ won't start
I should also mention that when turning the crank with the 17mm wrench on the nut that's under the points cover to rotate the engine to TDC the engine was really hard to turn. Before it was easy.

• wireman
  • Visitor
29 Dec 2005 09:11 #15029 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Changed valves/ won't start
pull the cams back out line up your timing mark on the crank and just try it again put he timing mark on exhuast cam flush with top of head facing forward put your chain on exhast cam,make sure to remove slack.go to next pin above exhuast timing mark and count 28 pins that should line up with your intake timing mark.after you torque everything down and adjust your valves turn the motor over slowly by hand to make sure nothing goes bump then try your compression test again!hopefully this will save you from pulling head comepletely off again!goodluck,happy wrenching!