Just curious about cam timing

More
14 Jun 2007 14:12 #149402 by vach
Just curious about cam timing was created by vach
If both of your cams were advanced a tooth.. Would you definitly notice? Would the bike run erraticly or would you just lost power if the valves were not getting damaged? I'm thinking the pistons would fire before they are supposed to and you would lose valuble power.. Or.. Would you most likely thrash the valves.. I'm just curoius.. I'm taking the cylinder head off just to make sure my cams are in correctly, but I would just like to know because I can't get to my bike for a week... Thanks guy's

1979 kz650 B. Chicago, Illinois

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jun 2007 14:28 #149406 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Just curious about cam timing
One tooth off wont hurt the valves, at least on a KZ650, but cam timing will be off enough to notice loss of power.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
14 Jun 2007 20:12 #149549 by Bob_79KZ
Replied by Bob_79KZ on topic Just curious about cam timing
If Mr. Kawasaki wanted the cams advanced one tooth he would have built them that way.

In my opinion, the Jap's engineer thier cycles to get optimum performance box stock. Unless you're building a drag race bike...stock gives best all around performance.

Fooling with them does more harm than good. IMHO

Bob

More
15 Jun 2007 02:02 #149582 by martijn
Replied by martijn on topic Just curious about cam timing
vach wrote:

If both of your cams were advanced a tooth.. Would you definitly notice? Would the bike run erraticly or would you just lost power if the valves were not getting damaged? and you would lose valuble power.. Or.. Would you most likely thrash the valves.. I'm just curoius..

All off it!! one tooth is a enormous change!!
Setting cams with a few degrees difference makes a considerable change so one camtooth (of 30?) =24 crank degrees.
Get it right!!

More
15 Jun 2007 05:17 #149595 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Just curious about cam timing
why are you pulling the head to make sure the cams are timed right, remove the valve cover and rotate the engine to TDC per the book, you should see two lines on the cam gears line upwith the top of the head.

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob