Valve Clearance Problem

More
11 Jun 2007 19:02 #148506 by winterstik
Valve Clearance Problem was created by winterstik
Hello everybody, checking my valve clearances on a top end rebuild. I am so close to done, but I have one intake clearance that is either to large or to tight, And i don't know why. I was able to make it change back and forth kind off intermittently by pulling up on the timing chain. Everything has been done to spec, but this one thing is killing me. Anybody have any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jun 2007 05:34 #148628 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Valve Clearance Problem
winterstik, Welcome to the site. You might want to edit your profile to add a signature to your posts where it reflects your bike year/model and your location in the event someone is closeby that can help.

Next, this is the carburetor section and hopefully a moderator will move this post to the engine section.

What is a "top end rebuild"? Did you disassemble the cylinder head and recut the valve seats? Add new valves? New valve guides? How do you pull the timing chain? Are you saying that if you check this one valve, you get different clearances each check?

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
13 Jun 2007 12:54 #149030 by BARNEYHYPHEN
Replied by BARNEYHYPHEN on topic Valve Clearance Problem
Just a thought but could it be that one of the cam bearings (under the cam caps) are badly worn and are allowing movement of the camshaft by way of tension on the cam chain, thereby giving differing measurements of the valve clearance? Perhaps the one closest to the problem valve? Just a thought?