White Exhaust Smoke Reality Check?

More
09 Jun 2007 12:06 #147798 by skippr76KZ
White Exhaust Smoke Reality Check? was created by skippr76KZ
I haven't put a whole lot of miles on my 76KZ900LTD since the engine rebuild - maybe 200 miles. Covered 50 today, probably the longest run I've taken on the bike in one outing. I suspect it's running a little rich. No loss of power, no smell of burning oil. But a fair amount of white smoke - perhaps a very slight blue undertone. Would this be anything to worry about? As if that wasn't odd enough, I noted a couple of strings of fiberglass (maybe a couple of inches) sticking out of the Vance & Hines exhaust holes. At first I thought it was gasket material, but closer inspection showed it to be fiber glass darkened by exhaust smoke. Anybody encounter anything like that with new Vance & Hines (or any) header/exhaust system? Thanks.

1976 KZ900LTD Fully Restored
2000 Vulcan FI Classic
1998 Ducati ST2, Gone

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
More
09 Jun 2007 12:28 #147807 by Duck
Replied by Duck on topic White Exhaust Smoke Reality Check?
It took agood 500 miles of hard riding before the xs650 quit smoking after we worked on it. A good bit of the early on smoke was oil in the pipe from the holed piston :-)

More
09 Jun 2007 14:20 #147823 by neilage66
Replied by neilage66 on topic White Exhaust Smoke Reality Check?
The fiberglass strips sound like baffle material. Just repacked a Kerker baffle and noticed the same thing after some running the road...looks like the inside of the baffle is a little hairy! :whistle:

More
09 Jun 2007 16:27 #147850 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic White Exhaust Smoke Reality Check?
Might take awhile for the rings to seat in, go ahead and just ride it and keep an eye on it. Check your plugs for fuel mixture or oil fouling.

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
09 Jun 2007 18:17 #147865 by Muddy
Replied by Muddy on topic White Exhaust Smoke Reality Check?
The fiberglass is nothing to worry about. Its just the packing material from the baffle. When I put my M4's on my TLR it shot fiberglass out of the pipes the first time I started it.

• wireman
  • Visitor
09 Jun 2007 18:23 #147868 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic White Exhaust Smoke Reality Check?
take it out and ride it hard for a while !have you changed the oil yet?;)give me a call before you jump off the roof!;) :P

Post edited by: wireman, at: 2007/06/09 21:25

• wireman
  • Visitor
09 Jun 2007 18:36 #147872 by wireman
and if that dont work we can always pull it apart and put that 1197 kit in there while we are fixing that pesky oil leak!;)

More
09 Jun 2007 19:05 #147881 by skippr76KZ
Replied by skippr76KZ on topic White Exhaust Smoke Reality Check?
Thanks guys. I feel a little better already. I will keep an eye on it. Man was it a great day for a ride! We really carved up some Ozarks back country roads on the way to the 20th Annual Cape Fair Oink Downs Pig Race. Yep wireman, the engine still has a small pesky leak, but i don't blame my most honored engine rebuild guy. Over all he did a good job. Just as long as I wasn't spittin out gasket material from my exhaust! (instead of baffle material) Hmmm. must have been riding it a little hard! :whistle:

1976 KZ900LTD Fully Restored
2000 Vulcan FI Classic
1998 Ducati ST2, Gone

• wireman
  • Visitor
09 Jun 2007 19:40 #147897 by wireman
she'll be ok just take her out and put a load on her to seat those rings.now would be a good time to retorque the nuts on the clinder head also now that shes got a few heating and cooling cycles under her belt;)