engine bogging down?

More
08 Jun 2007 11:03 #147525 by pollocksn
engine bogging down? was created by pollocksn
Well here it goes--I start my bike it usually fires right up and idles great at first. I go and run it around the block a few times and bring it back to mess with it. I leave it idling for awhile and then it starts to want to die. after a few minutes it does. then you cant start it without choking it, even then it still does not want to. This is the second time it has done this. It sat for about three weeks without being fired up but it also did this last time a did. Any ideas or suggestions.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jun 2007 11:10 #147528 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic engine bogging down?
Valve clearances recently checked? Thinking maybe too tight and getting tighter as engine warms so as to lose compression. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
08 Jun 2007 11:16 #147534 by pollocksn
Replied by pollocksn on topic engine bogging down?
Well I bought this bike two months ago and have been fixing it up. As far as I know nothing has been checked. I really dont know too much about motorcycles this is the first. When I first got it, it didnt do this. How would I go about checking the valve clearance? after getting it running a added a fuel treatment/cleaner thing to the gas, could this have anything to do with it?

More
11 Jun 2007 21:10 #148558 by pollocksn
any other thoughts?

More
12 Jun 2007 03:15 #148586 by tjettim
Replied by tjettim on topic engine bogging down?
Check the screen and inlet tubes on the
fuel petcock.

More
12 Jun 2007 04:42 #148603 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic engine bogging down?
check the vent in the fuel cap, it might be plugged up, also have you put a new fuel filter in.
valves, go to wiredgeorges site he has a real good section on checking the valves

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
12 Jun 2007 05:08 #148619 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic engine bogging down?
Guess you didn't like Patton's suggestion to check your valves. I suggest you not only check your valves but perform a full tune up per a factory service manual. This is an old vehicle and it requires regular attention and maintenance. I suggest a good starting point would be to check the valve clearances and compression.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
12 Jun 2007 12:50 #148768 by pollocksn
I actually wanted to check the valves I just didint know how, thanks for the link bskz650. It has a brand new petcock on it so I dont think it is that. Also has new plugs and wires. I have not done the new fuel filter so I might just go ahead and change that out.