Broken CamShaft Nipple?

More
08 Jun 2007 09:54 #147485 by Hamby
Broken CamShaft Nipple? was created by Hamby
Forgive me in advance if this is a repost. I searched through everything, searched through the Kaw. IPB you can't even see the nipple part on there. So I have no clue what to call it except for a nipple part. I was attempting to manually turn the engine using the camshaft (the 17mm) bolt. I'd just replaced the oil seal that sits right beneath the timing mechanisim. apparently the seal I put in there was a little too thick. I heard a crack, and was able to freely turn the bolt. Took everything back off to see I'd broken the nipple. I drilled a dill bit into the hole and broke it off. Not sure how good of a fix this is. It seems like I should be able to buy another little nipple somewhere. For those that are confused here's a picture. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jun 2007 09:58 #147488 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic Broken CamShaft Nipple?
Come on man! You trying to drive me insane? Ok friend, that is not your camshaft. That is actually your crankshaft. Now you need to specify which bike you have and which side of the crankshaft that is on!

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

More
08 Jun 2007 10:00 #147490 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Broken CamShaft Nipple?
The thing you are messing with is the crank shaft; not a cam shaft. The little pin you broke is the piece that locates the mechanical advance as it spins. They are tough little pins... I have had them break in the past. I drilled them out and drove a compression pin in. This is a pin with a slot in the side cut from end to end and after driving it in place, used a small cut off wheel to make it the right length. Actually, your broken drill bit fix should work fine unless you break it off and need to drill it out. If you used a hardened bit, it might be a challenge to drill but otherwise, I can't think of a reason why your solution won't work.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
08 Jun 2007 10:00 #147491 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic Broken CamShaft Nipple?
Timing mechanism on the right side, but I still don't know what bike it is

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

• wireman
  • Visitor
08 Jun 2007 10:54 #147518 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Broken CamShaft Nipple?
wiredgeorge wrote:

The thing you are messing with is the crank shaft; not a cam shaft. The little pin you broke is the piece that locates the mechanical advance as it spins. They are tough little pins... I have had them break in the past. I drilled them out and drove a compression pin in. This is a pin with a slot in the side cut from end to end and after driving it in place, used a small cut off wheel to make it the right length. Actually, your broken drill bit fix should work fine unless you break it off and need to drill it out. If you used a hardened bit, it might be a challenge to drill but otherwise, I can't think of a reason why your solution won't work.

roll pin;)

More
08 Jun 2007 11:06 #147526 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Broken CamShaft Nipple?
I bought a number of the pins at Home Depot in one of those big crate boxes in same area as they sell the few metric bolts they sell... I could swear they are called compression pins but you could well be right... they could be called roll pins. They would look like a hollow pin except they have a slot from end to end and when driven into a hole, they sort of spring out and stay put I guess... they had them in various diameters and lengths. They had some that were the correct diameter but all of them were too long so the pin I drove in had to be cut. Used a Dremel with cut off wheel.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
08 Jun 2007 11:59 #147555 by Hamby
Replied by Hamby on topic Broken CamShaft Nipple?
Crankshaft camshaft my bad. My bike is a 1982 KZ440 D4
I thought it automatically appeared when I posted. this would be on the right side of the bike. Not sure exactly what kind of pin at home depot you're referencing. i will look and see what I can find. Thanks for the quick responces, any other input would be appreciated thanks!

• wireman
  • Visitor
08 Jun 2007 12:52 #147579 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Broken CamShaft Nipple?
tell em ya need a roll pin,this is what you want;)

Post edited by: wireman, at: 2007/06/08 15:54
Attachments:

More
08 Jun 2007 13:31 #147590 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Broken CamShaft Nipple?
I won't say how :whistle: but I broke the same roll pin on my bike flush. Was a real bitch to drill out, could not go full depth but did go deep enough too drive new roll pin in, works great.

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
09 Jun 2007 03:06 #147733 by Hamby
Replied by Hamby on topic Broken CamShaft Nipple?
Ya'll have been a ton of help as usual. . .Drilling the broken drill bit out is prooving to be difficult, went through about 3 bits, and two battery charges, and hammered on it with apunch for over an hour. . . i'm tired and exhausted going to sleep for a few hours and head up to home depot see about getting a super drill bit that will slice through it like butter. . . wishful thinking probably. . . plan on trying to rent a chorded drill. . . so i won't run out of battery. . .if anyone else has any crazy ideas i'm all ears. . especially if you share them within the next two-three hours. . . Thanks! btw. . I'm made aproc 1-2mm of progress. . .
oh and i purchased the roll pins looks like it'll work great once i get a hole for it to go in.

Post edited by: Hamby, at: 2007/06/09 06:07

More
09 Jun 2007 06:34 #147741 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Broken CamShaft Nipple?
Another option is the local machine shop. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
09 Jun 2007 07:58 #147750 by lmullisZ1
Replied by lmullisZ1 on topic Broken CamShaft Nipple?
Before totally giving up on this one. Would try to drill a new hole for a good tight fit for a new roll pin 180 degrees from the buggered one. Then just swap the 1&4 and 2&3 coil primary wires, and maybe put some markings on the timing rotor to warn the next guy, of your changes.

Larry