kz900 cams

More
08 Jun 2007 08:21 #147463 by brawnyrebel
kz900 cams was created by brawnyrebel
When installing my 900 exhaust cam it seem that in order for my mark to line up with the top of thehead one of my valves is going to need to be open. if i move the mark up the cam will fall in to its place. Am i doing something wrong here?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jun 2007 09:36 #147480 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic kz900 cams
A recent thread with some of the best and most understandable information ever. :)

cam timing

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
08 Jun 2007 09:53 #147484 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic kz900 cams
br - When you set your exhaust cam in place, it isn't going to sit down flush and proper. Remember the function is to push valve buckets DOWN so when the cam caps aren't bolted down, the cam will not sit down. Once you have the timing and put the cam caps back on and tighten them, valves will get pushed down in the process and the cam will sit as it should (HOPE I UNDERSTAND THE NATURE OF THIS QUESTION!).

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
08 Jun 2007 10:33 #147508 by brawnyrebel
Replied by brawnyrebel on topic kz900 cams
I believe you understand pefectly. Is there a trick to holding i tin place while you tighten the caps or is it just a tricky process

More
08 Jun 2007 10:53 #147516 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic kz900 cams
Be sure to pull the chain tight in the front. It gets bunched around the crankshaft sprocket and will feel like it is is tight but is really still bound on the sprocket. Get the intake cam in place with arrow forward. When you put the exhaust cam in, after counting 28 pins starting with the pin ABOVE the arrow on the intake cam, put your exhaust cam in and set the caps in place. Put the bolts in the holes and get them started. The cam will stick up more on one side than the other. Tighten some on one bolt then the other and go back and forth, starting at the higher end to get it down, then go to the other cap and tighten it some. Don't try and tighten one cap all the way then the other... work from one to the other till you get the caps bolted down. The cams can move a bit side to side so make sure you are not tightening down on the round pieces on the cam... just the plain surface where the bearing contacts. The bearings are the little aluminum half moon bushings that fit in the cap and on the cap seat.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
08 Jun 2007 12:30 #147565 by brawnyrebel
Replied by brawnyrebel on topic kz900 cams
Should i but the roller tower in before i tighten the caps down all the way?

More
28 Jan 2008 22:10 #191560 by NickW900LTD
Replied by NickW900LTD on topic kz900 cams
wow im glad i found this thread, cause it answers my previousley asked question.

1976 KZ900 LTD (sold)
1977 KZ1000 LTD
1978 KZ1000 A2A

Pierceton, Indiana USA