HELP!!!!!! Camshaft bolt hole stripped

More
08 Jun 2007 09:56 #147486 by fishybass
Replied by fishybass on topic HELP!!!!!! Camshaft bolt hole stripped
General notes about tapping: when tapping the new hole be sure to never turn the tap forward more then about 1-2 turns without reversing the tap a little bit first (maybe 1/4 turn). Reversing the direction of the tap a little after a forward turn or two will clear the cut metal for you and keep your threads clean. Be patient. Remember, taps are not like drill bits, they are not self clearing. If you turn the tap over and over again you risk getting some of the cut metal into the new threads the tap is cutting and cause the threads to cross -- then you are right back to where you started. For this reason use oil during the cut. I would worry about using grease, because of the high viscosity trapping bits of metal; which, again, may cause cross threading.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jun 2007 11:19 #147535 by coppertales
Replied by coppertales on topic HELP!!!!!! Camshaft bolt hole stripped
When I have to do a helicoil, I use knife sharpening oil on the tap. It is kinda of a cutting oil. I would like a source for longer helicoils but have not found any yet......the 1/4 inch inserts that come in most kits are marginal, but work ok....chris3

1982 KZ1100 A2
1982 1100 SPECTRE
1982 1100 SPECTRE

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.