Valve Problems Z900

More
07 Jun 2007 18:57 #147301 by srvbbkjh
Valve Problems Z900 was created by srvbbkjh
I have a problem... I have dropped in some new valve shims, several times now in the last couple of weeks. Seems that the shims on cylinders two and three on the exhaust side keep getting too much clearance. This time it happened within a day, installed them last night and tonight i am going to have to put in bigger shims in order to get it back to where it needs to be. I am checking clearance when engine is completely cool and i have even resorted to turning the engine over a couple of times and checking again, fine at this point. After the bike is ridden the clearance is out of tolerance again!
Please help.

I am thinking possibly a bent valve or broken/worn spring. Cam is torqued to spec.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • Visitor
07 Jun 2007 19:05 #147305 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Valve Problems Z900
yeah id say something is weird,have you run a compression test?;)

More
07 Jun 2007 22:16 #147374 by srvbbkjh
Replied by srvbbkjh on topic Valve Problems Z900
yeah i have and compression is not an issue. im soooooooooo confused:( :S :huh:

More
08 Jun 2007 04:44 #147405 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Valve Problems Z900
More likely how you measure the clearance than the clearance changing. See the "Valve Clearances" article on our website under "wg's Tech Stuff Index". There are marks on the cam sprocket for alignment when you check clearances. I suspect that you need to get those marks aligned in order to make consistent measurements. Don't see the valve springs as an issue... it doesn't take that much to close a valve with the lobe off the bucket/shim.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
08 Jun 2007 05:12 #147412 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Valve Problems Z900
the only reason you would be getting more clearance so fast is if either the top of the valve stem is failing or the contact spot on the bucket, remove the bucket and inspect both of those areas

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob