six speed in a five speed bike

• cottoncandyninja
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 Jun 2007 18:49 #147296 by cottoncandyninja
six speed in a five speed bike was created by cottoncandyninja
im attempting the six speed swap right now and we're having a little bit of a difficulty. things are having a hard time lining up and when they do line up theyre having a hard time turning. what im wondering is if i keep the 5 speed shifter fork in the setup or if all my parts are switched over to the six speed parts?? this would help alot of confusion. i have the 550 manual so im going to go over it again but somethings just not right. hope someone can shed some light on it. probably steell. worries ensue.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jun 2007 19:52 #147332 by steell
Replied by steell on topic six speed in a five speed bike
The five speed forks will "Not" work with the six speed, I already tried that :D

Use all the six speed parts including the cover (or you won't have a neutral light).

But you really ought to give up on that idea and just ship it back to me for a refund :evil: :evil: :laugh:

Keep in mind that you are going to have to use a 550 output sprocket because of the way the sprocket is retained on the shaft.
Or you could see if the output shafts will swap. I think they will, but I don't have a 550 trans to try it on.

Post edited by: steell, at: 2007/06/07 23:02

KD9JUR

• cottoncandyninja
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 Jun 2007 20:15 #147345 by cottoncandyninja
Replied by cottoncandyninja on topic six speed in a five speed bike
send it back?! never! but theres a slight problemo. i kinda mangled the 550 cover. so im guessing a new one off of ebay is in order. fug.

• cottoncandyninja
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 Jun 2007 20:40 #147347 by cottoncandyninja
speaking of that...does anyone have a great shining example of a early eighties 550 tranny cover looks like that wants to sell?? cant really find anything on ebay. currently accepting links though to our more resourceful members. take notice...

More
07 Jun 2007 20:44 #147348 by steell
The 750 cover will work, if you can live without the neutral light.

I'm still looking for the whole thing myself :D

And a set of GPz750 cams :blush:

KD9JUR

• cottoncandyninja
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 Jun 2007 21:18 #147359 by cottoncandyninja
steell, got any spares i can get off of you cheap. god knows what kind of trouble id get into if i didnt know whether my bike was in neutral or not. that or a solid link on where to get one.

More
07 Jun 2007 22:41 #147382 by steell
There is a NOS one on eBay that the seller claims fits 550/650/750 motors, but that doesn't make any sense because I know the neutral switch is in a different location on the 550. If you are really desperate, there are complete 550 transmissions in a couple of eBay stores, maybe we could work something out where you got the cover and I got the rest. I still want to know for sure if the 750 output shaft will work in the 550 trans.

Hmm, if you want to kick in $10 plus shipping on the cover, I'll go ahead and buy one of the trans.

Post edited by: steell, at: 2007/06/08 01:59

KD9JUR

More
08 Jun 2007 00:45 #147391 by jimmybon
Replied by jimmybon on topic six speed in a five speed bike
I was interested in doing the convertion but i was wondering what the advantage was, would it give me a lower geared 1st or a taller top gear or both. So ? is, whats the ratios for all gears compared to ( say my set up, GPZ810 motor ) and what would be the ideal final drive ratio "530" set up?

74 Z1A900 original
74 Z1A900 stone replica
74Z1A900 barn find
77 Z650B1 Hybrid
81 z650 PIG camp bike
06 ZRX1200R cafe racer project
S1000xr

More
08 Jun 2007 05:11 #147411 by Allshookup
Replied by Allshookup on topic six speed in a five speed bike
Can this swap be done in a KZ1000?

More
08 Jun 2007 06:00 #147425 by steell
Allshookup wrote:

Can this swap be done in a KZ1000?

Highly doubtful, the 1000 is totally different. Would you really want to put the little skinny gears in a 550 trans behind the torque of a 1000? I think the lifespan would be rather short :)

As for the gear ratios and overall gearing of the 550 vs the 750, I really don't remember the numbers. I did the research and the calculations once, but that was last year.

IMHO, it's certainly not worth pulling the motor snd splitting the cases just to put the 550 trans in.

KD9JUR