reboring cylinders

More
26 Dec 2005 20:36 #14700 by drahotus
reboring cylinders was created by drahotus
hi!
i'm rebuilding engine on my kz 1000 and i would like to rebore cylinders to 1075 cc.
does anyone know where to get complete pistons kit and how much it would be?
also need to know what kind of shop will be able to rebore.it has to be some shop specialized for bikes engine repairs or any machine shop? and how much this joke will approximatly coast?
thank you D.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Dec 2005 22:52 #14704 by steell
Replied by steell on topic reboring cylinders
What year of KZ1000 is it? If it's an 81-82 I know a local motorcycle machinist that has a brand new Wiseco 1075 kit sitting on the shelf that he will take $300 for (and that's less than dealers cost). If that's what you need send me a private message and I'll give you his phone number.

If your bike is a 77-80 model, then I'm pretty sure you can get a Wiseco kit for ~$355 if you shop around.

Generally $150-$180 for a bore and hone on a four cylinder block, and I'd recommend you either take it or send it to someone specializing in motorcycle work.

Btw, it would help if you listed the year and model of your bike in your signature, general location would be helpful also.

Post edited by: steell, at: 2005/12/27 01:54

KD9JUR

• wireman
  • Visitor
27 Dec 2005 06:09 #14726 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic reboring cylinders
definately take it to someone who specializes in bikes,other than that sounds about right!goodluck,happywrenching!

More
27 Dec 2005 06:26 #14729 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic reboring cylinders
Try calling the service managers of some local bike shops. Most farm their work to the same place as most local economies only support one or two bike type machine shops. Avoid car/truck machine shops.

As far as cost, about $40-55 per cylinder is right. As far as where to buy a kit, check Wiseco. One of our members, APE Jay, works for APE who sells these kits:

www.kzzone.com/

It is good that there are a few companies like APE who still keep KZ engine and speed part items on their shelves!

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
27 Dec 2005 16:56 #14775 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic reboring cylinders
The 1075 kit would run $371.32, and it runs $95.00 to bore and hone your cylinders.

Jay

More
27 Dec 2005 18:09 #14783 by steell
Replied by steell on topic reboring cylinders
There you go, $466 for the kit including boring and honing from APE, vs $480 from my local machinist (he charges $180 to bore and hone). Let's see now, APE or some unknown motorcycle machinist that you have never heard of, I know which one I'd pick :laugh:

KD9JUR

More
27 Dec 2005 21:24 #14826 by drahotus
Replied by drahotus on topic reboring cylinders
hey!
thank you for offer steell,i'm sorry i didn't mention
the year of my bike.it is 1978 and has 1015cc
cylinders which may not work.
anyway i'm sure i will follow guys your advice and go with APE because they know what they're doing compare to some local uknown guy who may or may not to know.
thanks again Draho
ps:i'm located in philly and can't wait for spring!:woohoo: