Oil change boo boo

More
06 Jun 2007 16:22 #146962 by Krammit2
Oil change boo boo was created by Krammit2
A little while ago I inherited a kz900. I discovered a oil leak where the wires come from the stator. The PO had purchased the new rubber grommet and today I installed it. Worked perfectly. I also decided to give it an oil change while I was there and did so. Upon restart the oil light did not go out. It has a oil pressure gage and it reads that the oil pressure is good. I installed the correct amount of oil. It has a Lockhart Oil cooler. Here is the part where I feel like a numbskull. As I was pouring the old oil into the recycle container I noticed a large flat washer in the pan. I know it is supposed to go on top of the spring before the filter but my question is is this what is keeping my oil light on? Like I said the pressure is good and there are no loud tickings so I believe the oil system is working. Can anybody explain this to me. I thought the oil switch was right after the filter or is my system bypassing? Going to fix the washer problem tomorrow anyway. Should I expect the light to go out?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jun 2007 19:03 #147006 by themachine
Replied by themachine on topic Oil change boo boo
i think the oil passes by the filter without tat washer, but its just my guess and the forum pro's will point you in the right direction.

82 kawaski csr1000 Evolved into a streetfighter.

I love Speed! Hot Nasty Badass Speed!!!

More
06 Jun 2007 19:12 #147011 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Oil change boo boo
No, the washer has no function other than to distribute the spring pressure more uniformly. Many are gone with no ill effect. I never bothered to replace mine after I noticed it missing some 25 yrs ago. I can't imagine how changing the filter could have caused a problem.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
06 Jun 2007 19:27 #147016 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic Oil change boo boo
That washer mearly keeps the spring from pushing up, and possibly through the rubber grommet in the filter and preventing it from filtering properly.

Sounds to me more like some debris/sludge is possibly clogging the pressure switch.

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
07 Jun 2007 04:43 #147110 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Oil change boo boo
Have you looked at the wire on the sending unit? maybe its going to ground or the sending unit just went bad

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob