Valve Shims

More
18 Feb 2016 09:00 #711288 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Valve Shims
So you haven't been riding the bike in over 8 years, Wow I feel sorry for you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Feb 2016 10:05 #711299 by aenikolopov
Replied by aenikolopov on topic Valve Shims

baldy110 wrote: So you haven't been riding the bike in over 8 years, Wow I feel sorry for you.

Hah - no! The thread was started by someone else, 8 years ago. I had a question on the same topic, but about a bike that I bought half a year ago. I'm keeping it in the same thread because I had a question about something that was posted in this thread 8 years ago.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
18 Feb 2016 10:34 #711304 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Valve Shims
The problem with using old threads, some of the pics will have timed out.
Steve

More
18 Feb 2016 10:47 #711306 by Olajoe
Replied by Olajoe on topic Valve Shims

aenikolopov wrote:

baldy110 wrote: So you haven't been riding the bike in over 8 years, Wow I feel sorry for you.

Hah - no! The thread was started by someone else, 8 years ago. I had a question on the same topic, but about a bike that I bought half a year ago. I'm keeping it in the same thread because I had a question about something that was posted in this thread 8 years ago.

Gather all the information you can so that however this turns out you are comfortable with the results. That's the main thing, You don't want to be riding having second thoughts on whether or not you did it right. Take ownership. Trust me, there's always going to be a better way, a more precise way that is more efficient, effective, you name it. In understanding valve shims you'll determine the best way to approach this. However process you choose main thing you can sleep with it and just keep it to yourself. This is the key part right here -yourself-, or be prepared to defend your method. It's the nature of the beast very much so when it comes to things that may propel you from here to there.

The following user(s) said Thank You: aenikolopov

More
24 Feb 2016 15:34 #712359 by aenikolopov
Replied by aenikolopov on topic Valve Shims
Thanks all for the suggestions. Was able to adjust valves one camshaft at a time. 3 valves were off, and though they were all off by just about 0.02mm, (so, i was measuring about 0.06mm), going down a shim in each got rid of a noise I had noticed recently, and the bike does seem to be running better.