kick starter help!!!

More
28 May 2007 20:38 #144419 by auggiedog
kick starter help!!! was created by auggiedog
Oh man..I hope someone can help with this one. I'm putting back together my kz900, have almost completely rebuilt it over the winter, bolt by bolt by...:sick: ...so far things have been going great until now. I have the case together, in the frame with the pistons and jugs all in place, every thing looks good, but now there is a clicking sound from the kick starter when I wrench the motor over by hand. Going underneath I can see that the two gears on the kickstart shaft are engaged and click each time you move the crankshaft...I can see that the inboard gear might not be in the right place,but not sure.
I have had the whole thing apart a couple of times before and never had a problem...
any ideas? Man, do I not want to split the cases again..:(
I could live without the kickstrater and almost eliminated it this time, wish I had...
Any help at all would be great..
Thanks all for looking at this..
K

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 May 2007 05:52 #144473 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic kick starter help!!!
The clicking is because you didn't install the kicker correctly. Put the kicker spring on the shaft and hook the end of the spring closer to the engine case. Then turn the kicker shaft CLOCKWISE (this is what you didn't do) as far as it will go. The put the near of of the spring into the hole in the shaft.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
29 May 2007 08:07 #144511 by auggiedog
Replied by auggiedog on topic kick starter help!!!
Wired George again to the rescue. Thanks much!
(note to self-read shop manual during day, not at 11pm...)
:P

More
29 May 2007 11:54 #144579 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic kick starter help!!!
Note to Auggiedog... the bit about turning the kicker mechanism clockwise isn't obvious and if you split the cases and then reinstall the kicker, it is easily forgotten until you get the click noise and that ol' sinking feeling. That is why I remember it... I have done it a bunch of times and pretty much remember now to load that mechanism before installing the kicker... nothing is worse than starting the bike for the first time and watching that shaft snick snick snick as your freshly rebuilt engine is running for the first time... hehe I don't really think you can install the internal part incorrectly, btw... at least, I haven't figure out a way to goof that up!

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!