new clutch!

More
28 May 2007 13:14 #144286 by freebyrd24
new clutch! was created by freebyrd24
well i just got back from my trip and found my wonderful new clutch at my doorstep!

now i know ive read about lubricating the discs with oil before putting them on in the basket, but how can i go about this? i bought new metal plates and fiber plates, and clutch springs. can i put oil in a container and just put the plates in the oil to sit for a while? or how should i go aout the oiling? liberally? thanks everyone!

- 1981 KZ1000-K1 LTD - Long term project
1075cc Kit - New Wiseco Pistons

Sold:
- 1978 kz650 SR, 4-1 Vance and Hines Full Exhaust, Dyna-S Ignition, Accel Coils and Wires

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 May 2007 14:25 #144305 by themachine
Replied by themachine on topic new clutch!
letting them sit in a bucket ful of oil doesnt sound too bad, i put mine on dry and ran it for 10 minutes then let it sit for an hour befor driving it, they turned out fine but i plan on burning them up and replacing them again with "the good stuff"

82 kawaski csr1000 Evolved into a streetfighter.

I love Speed! Hot Nasty Badass Speed!!!

More
28 May 2007 15:04 #144317 by kz700rider
Replied by kz700rider on topic new clutch!
Try this link from the archives. It helped me alot.
kzrider.com/archive/viewthread.php?tid=8643

More
28 May 2007 19:02 #144387 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic new clutch!
The only thing sitting in oil does is prolong your installation. Doesn't do one ounce of good as they will be sitting in oil for eternity after install. Just put them in and be done with it.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
28 May 2007 19:14 #144398 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic new clutch!
It does do some good actually. Wet clutches need oil to work properly. When you get them they are as dry as a bone and oiling them reduces heat on them, on the frictions. I would strongly encourage you guys to soak your clutches before installation, it is the most important prep step.

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

• dadams7161
  • User
  • live to Ride Lifes Better on the Road in the wind
More
28 May 2007 22:24 #144442 by dadams7161
Replied by dadams7161 on topic new clutch!
kzwolfsr wrote:

It does do some good actually. Wet clutches need oil to work properly. When you get them they are as dry as a bone and oiling them reduces heat on them, on the frictions. I would strongly encourage you guys to soak your clutches before installation, it is the most important prep step.

I was told the same thing before I put my new clutch in. The suggestion to me was soak them overnight before installing them, also it said on the box they came in to soak them but it said 2 hours.

1982 KZ750-M1 CSR Twin
3rd Owner of this Jewel
Before and After Photos

• dadams7161
  • User
  • live to Ride Lifes Better on the Road in the wind
More
28 May 2007 22:24 #144443 by dadams7161
Replied by dadams7161 on topic new clutch!
kzwolfsr wrote:

I was told the same thing before I put my new clutch in. The suggestion to me was soak them overnight before installing them, also it said on the box they came in to soak them but it said 2 hours.

1982 KZ750-M1 CSR Twin
3rd Owner of this Jewel
Before and After Photos

More
28 May 2007 22:34 #144445 by kz700rider
Replied by kz700rider on topic new clutch!
Correct me if im wrong , but the friction plates are cork based. Soaking them will give them a chance to swell and absorb the oil as well. I still consider myself a beginner , so please , anyone go more into detail about the mechanical functions.

• wireman
  • Visitor
28 May 2007 23:32 #144451 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic new clutch!
thats why they call it a wet clutch;)

More
31 May 2007 18:18 #145347 by freebyrd24
Replied by freebyrd24 on topic new clutch!
well an update here, everything went smooooooth as silk. the clutch has a nice small friction zone as compared to the real wide and off one from the 30 year old clutch i had. what a difference! nice and smooth shifts, no slippage, im tickled. :woohoo:

- 1981 KZ1000-K1 LTD - Long term project
1075cc Kit - New Wiseco Pistons

Sold:
- 1978 kz650 SR, 4-1 Vance and Hines Full Exhaust, Dyna-S Ignition, Accel Coils and Wires

More
31 May 2007 20:16 #145369 by old650
Replied by old650 on topic new clutch!
dadams7161 wrote:

kzwolfsr wrote:

I just did my clutch last week. New everything. I put my frictions in a clean ice cream pail with fresh oil. I put it all back together the next day and it has been great since. I even diped my new steels into that oil as I was assembling, what the hell, couldn't hurt. Redoing your clutch is SUPER EASY. If I had of known how easy it was, I would have done it last year.