Another quick question from Chandler

More
26 May 2007 10:08 #143649 by kzwolfsr
Another quick question from Chandler was created by kzwolfsr
I have my clutch plates in the living room, all waiting for a response from me. The Clymer manual doesn't say what the stock length of the clutch springs are supposed to be and I am wondering if I should lightly sand the metal plates or the frictions. Everything measures to spec so I don't know what else to do. I already did a search on this and I didnt find anything useful. Glad to have helped Wizzard with his clutch prob, that gave me at least 3 times I visibly helped someone here.

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 May 2007 10:57 #143656 by tjettim
Replied by tjettim on topic Another quick question from Chandler
I always recommend HD clutch springs.
On the Z1/KZs if you have an old set
of valve springs laying around,the inner
springs make good clutch springs.

More
26 May 2007 12:11 #143668 by neilage66
Replied by neilage66 on topic Another quick question from Chandler
Alot of folks re-use their old clutch springs to keep a lighter feel on the clutch. I have no experience with heavy duty springs but people here sometimes complain about them being too stout for everyday riding...racing a big block would of course be a different story.
I would replace with OEM, stock springs if I was doing a clutch today. Scuffing up the old friction plates to remove any "glazing" and cleaning up the metal plates would be a good idea too.

Post edited by: neilage66, at: 2007/05/26 15:12

More
26 May 2007 13:04 #143673 by MDawnz1
Replied by MDawnz1 on topic Another quick question from Chandler
Springs are up to you and your engine ,
How hard can you pull the lever all day while you are stuck in traffic ?

If you are going to sand any of your plates ,
Do them on a scrap piece of glass.

1974 Z1a, still 903

• wireman
  • Visitor
26 May 2007 15:24 #143703 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Another quick question from Chandler
glassbead the steel plates measure your stock springs if they are in spec and youre not racing it put it together and ride;)

More
26 May 2007 18:06 #143765 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Another quick question from Chandler
Yea using heavy springs is just a pain in the wrist and causes unnecessary stress on the cable and clutch release mech. In Denver we have no horsepower so chance of clutch slipping with stock plates in good shape is nil. Stay stock.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
26 May 2007 19:00 #143780 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic Another quick question from Chandler
Ok folks, summary is I put it all back together, all OEM parts. I scuffed the steels with 100 sandpaper and the outer plate after the last friction. Couldn't reach the inner basket steel plate so I left that out and just scuffed the friction plate that is on it. I put the cover back on with some bolts this time to prevent oil leaks and half done torquing with philips screws.
So it is done! New topic!

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

More
26 May 2007 19:55 #143811 by agawam
Replied by agawam on topic Another quick question from Chandler
I put barnett springs in my H1 and now have some serious problems with my left hand, seems to be broken and unless I wrap the hand with medical tape riding it is out of the question, Oh yeah I only used 3 of the 5 springs all 5 would have been imposssible to work, my recommendation fix the clutch and use stock springs or get a hydrolic unit