Fuel leak from the tank

More
24 May 2007 08:14 #143078 by Alex_KZ1K
Fuel leak from the tank was created by Alex_KZ1K
Hey guys... I was wondering if anyone has ever experienced this. I bought the bike a few months ago with a fresh coat of paint. I just noticed yesterday the paint was stained on the right sidecover and when I looked, I saw a fuel leak coming from the back corner of the tank on the right hand side. It appears it may be seeping through a seam, I haven't had a good look at it yet. Does anyone else have experience with this?

How can I stop it from leaking?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 May 2007 08:27 #143081 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Fuel leak from the tank
"Seal All" can be applied to the outside of the tank,but "Kreem"(or other products) would be a good idea,to re-line the INSIDE of the tank.
Lots of info on tank re-lining.
I know Seal-All works,but I'm not too sure on what prep You would have to do to the paint on Your tank,Bud.I've used it on a car gas tank,and with some prep,the stuff worked great.

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
24 May 2007 08:31 #143083 by violentvintagecycles
Replied by violentvintagecycles on topic Fuel leak from the tank
If you want to be done with it once and for all, take it to your local welder/fabricator. Have them split the tank and re-do it. Usually about 200$. Nothing kills the value of an old bike like a rusted, leaking tank or a sealed tank.

More
24 May 2007 08:50 #143089 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Fuel leak from the tank
violentvintagecycles wrote:

If you want to be done with it once and for all, take it to your local welder/fabricator. Have them split the tank and re-do it. Usually about 200$. Nothing kills the value of an old bike like a rusted, leaking tank or a sealed tank.

Ya,I agree,BUT..."Fresh coat of paint" is what caught My eye,so I don't think He wants to go through all of that...just yet...or do You?:whistle: :laugh:

And if it DID come down to doing it right...pretty sure You could find a good tank on e-bay for less than what it would cost You do have Your welded.
For now...being as summer is here,just do what You can to keep it dry,and enjoy it!B)

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
24 May 2007 08:57 #143090 by violentvintagecycles
Replied by violentvintagecycles on topic Fuel leak from the tank
I hear that, summer is here.. Bout 85 here in Jersey today. But, uh, im working..That honda gas tank ive been talking about that leaked, I got so frustrated that i fiberglassed the tank and rode it anyway. :P It worked, until it popped another hole. :blink:
I drive a cab here on Long beach Island, (tourist trap), so my life is about over until labor day. But if ya call a cab and noone answers..... :whistle:

More
24 May 2007 10:17 #143105 by pyxen
Replied by pyxen on topic Fuel leak from the tank
I had a pinhole leak in the back left and right of my tank after sanding it down to repaint it. It eventually ruined the paint down in that area as it seeped out.

I had to empty the tank and JB Weld the outside of it to make sure it was sealed. I didn't want to get into Kreem or another sealant.

It's worked great so far..around 2 months.

84 KZ550-F2 LTD
93 ZR550-B4

More
24 May 2007 10:20 #143108 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Fuel leak from the tank
Can you look inside the tank and determine whether any sort of liner was previously applied? Sometimes the old liner fails and starts peeling off.

Should know this before deciding how to best proceed. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
24 May 2007 14:35 #143172 by Alex_KZ1K
Replied by Alex_KZ1K on topic Fuel leak from the tank
No previous liner inside the tank, and it's pretty clean in there. I think the same thing probably happened to this tank when the p/o was sanding it down for the paint job. Went to hard with the sander in the corner and that's what happened. I'd rather not have to paint it as I don't have a lot of time on my hands anymore. Maybe I'll just drop it off at my local rad shop so they can put some kind of liner in it.

More
24 May 2007 15:14 #143182 by kz700rider
Replied by kz700rider on topic Fuel leak from the tank
I had the same problem. I got a fuel tank repair kit from the local hardware store. The kit is made by permatex. It comes with putty , two part epoxy , and fiber mesh. Its used for fixing holes. I just sanded the small spot , cleaned the area with an alchoal swab , and applied the two part epoxy with a small brush. The good thing is that it is sandable. After that I sealed the inside and have not had a problem since (knock on wood).