starter motor clutch

• cottoncandyninja
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 May 2007 10:00 #142759 by cottoncandyninja
starter motor clutch was created by cottoncandyninja
just making sure but, has anyone had any problems ever with their starter motor clutch? anyone? any model?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• cottoncandyninja
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 May 2007 10:01 #142760 by cottoncandyninja
Replied by cottoncandyninja on topic starter motor clutch
whoops
can someone move this to the proper area? engine im thinking...

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
More
23 May 2007 10:58 #142791 by Biquetoast
Replied by Biquetoast on topic starter motor clutch
cottoncandyninja wrote:

just making sure but, has anyone had any problems ever with their starter motor clutch? anyone? any model?

Mine exploded and seized my engine just last month on my 750 twin. They seem to be prone to it.

It automatically backed 1 of the 3 mounting allen screws out (the other two were already loose too), dropped a roller out, jammed against the starter sprocket or something and cracked in half. I was lucky it wasn't worse. I just pulled the rotor, removed all the debris, got a replacement starter clutch from a spare engine, removed all the pins, springs and rollers (only kickstart now), and reassembled with RED Locktite.

In my other 750 and one of my 400's, they are failing and should probably be looked at before I get them on the road.

(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

• cottoncandyninja
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 May 2007 11:26 #142796 by cottoncandyninja
Replied by cottoncandyninja on topic starter motor clutch
:ohmy:

anyone else have any horror stories to get me upset?

More
24 May 2007 11:59 #143140 by cafekz750
Replied by cafekz750 on topic starter motor clutch
I have an '81 KZ750 4 cylinder that I replaced the starter clutch in years ago.
My story:
I consulted my manual and found that you have to remove the seconday shaft from the bike. I decided that was too much for me at the time and I decided to have someone else fix it for me. I had it "fixed" by a local shop and in less than 500 miles the starter clutch failed. So, I decided to fix the starter clutch myself. I pulled the starter clutch out and inspected it for wear. The guy in the shop put in what looked like ball-point pen springs behind the rollers. To prove the point, I pulled apart a pen and put the springs in it and it worked perfectly. Needless to say, I will never take anything back to that shop. I still have the pen. Anyway, I ordered some of the parts to fix the starter clutch and that worked for a few thousand miles, but the starter clutch failed again. I know that when I fixed it myself, a few of the parts were borderline useable. Luckily, in the few thousand miles I happened to aquire a parts bike. I harvested the starter clutch from that and put it in my bike. It works better than my old one ever did.

Summary of what is involved to fix the starter clutch:
You can replace/fix the starter clutch with the motor in the bike. You have to remove the exhaust, drain the oil, remove oil filter and the oil pan. Then clutch needs to be removed and the oil pump. The Haynes manual is incorrect with the oil pump removal; I have the bent bracket to prove it. The chain cover needs to be removed and remove the cap over the secondary shaft. Loosen nut on the secondary shaft and tap the shaft out the clutch side while holding the starter clutch. Remove the morse chain over the starter clutch and have at it!
I simplified the process, but this is what you're in for if you want to tackle it yourself. I have the old starter clutch in the garage if you would like pictures of what I am talking about.
Happy fixing!

1981 KZ750H2 - V&H 4-1 pipe, pods, jetted, clubmans, homebrew rearsets, 18" rear wheel and more.
Parting out a 1982 KZ750H3 to fund future projects
2 other non-Kawasaki motorcycles