Newbie needs some big help !!

More
22 May 2007 22:17 #142653 by another82kz
Newbie needs some big help !! was created by another82kz
I have a 82 LTD1000 I was riding it yesterday and on the wat home noticed a knocking sound coming from the clutch cover . I removed the cover and checked the clutch , everything moves like it is supposed to . I tore everything apart and found the clutch basket seems to be loose . Here is my question . How does the clutch basket come out of the case once you remove the clutch boss ? I am thinking that I have to remove the sprocket cover and go in from the otherside . And since I am on the subject I will tell you all what exactly it was doing . The noise was rather loud in neutral but when the bike is put into gear the noise went away untill you accelerate and then the noise would get louder the faster you go . I hope someone has had this happen and all it is is a bearing or sleeve that is worn . Any help would be greatly appreciated . Thanks - Joe

\"Its all just a bunch of nuts and bolts.\"

1982 KZ1000LTD
1974 Superbeetle
1999 Grand Cherokee

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 May 2007 03:19 #142680 by tjettim
Replied by tjettim on topic Newbie needs some big help !!
The best thing you can do is to buy an
official Kawasaki maintenance manual.
The instructions and pictures help alot.
Hopefully it is something easily fixed.
Sometimes the inner mounting nut comes loose,
but I had a basket rip its rivets loose once
on a GS1100.

More
24 May 2007 12:36 #143145 by another82kz
Replied by another82kz on topic Newbie needs some big help !!
After about a case of oat sodas I finally figured out how this thing came apart . Now I need the bushing that goes in the center of the clutch basket . Im not sure but if I was to put money on it that inner collar isnt supposed to have any side to side play in it .

1982 KZ1000LTD
1974 Superbeetle
1999 Grand Cherokee

More
24 May 2007 19:58 #143260 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic Newbie needs some big help !!
Are you really 17? With all that bike? Mine sometimes feels like this large lug and you can handle all a that. I never had to fool with my clutch yet but the time is coming. Got to play with the clutch on my SR though. Good luck with your bike and post some pics in the gallery!

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

More
24 May 2007 21:31 #143299 by another82kz
No Im not 17 I am 25 but I got into a bit of a squabble with a strapping young lad on a R6 about a week ago . It seems to him and all of his buds that I might as well be riding a schwinn compared to the almighty R6 and F4i .

1982 KZ1000LTD
1974 Superbeetle
1999 Grand Cherokee

More
25 May 2007 22:14 #143569 by MDawnz1
Replied by MDawnz1 on topic Newbie needs some big help !!
I just took a look the fiche for your bike.
It could be a few things .
If you want to see for yourself ,,try ,,
Cheapcycleparts.com

and no I have nothing to do with them ,
They just have the fiche for Z1s online.

1974 Z1a, still 903

More
27 May 2007 17:52 #144072 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic Newbie needs some big help !!
When you get the basket out, make sure it is not coming loose from the gear. If it is, it can be fixed.

Jay

More
29 May 2007 07:33 #144505 by another82kz
This is what I have found . The metal collar that slides over the jackshaft and sits inside the clutch basket has alot of play between the two . Seems to me like the bushing/bearing inside the clutch basket is worn out . Honestly since I am not at all familiar with motorcycle engine internals , I dont know what is bad or good . The local Kaw dealer tells me I can only get that bushing by buying the entire clutch basket . WTF and I cant seem to find it listed anywhere else . I am going to run to a local bearing supply place later today to see if I can find one . Thanks - Joe

1982 KZ1000LTD
1974 Superbeetle
1999 Grand Cherokee

More
29 May 2007 08:17 #144515 by violentvintagecycles
Replied by violentvintagecycles on topic Newbie needs some big help !!
I was on the parkway yesterday on my home on an old Honda, cruising about 75, when a couple guys on the newer sportbikes blew past me. Guy in the rear pulled up next to me and attemted to pull a wheelie, but he screwed up and it took him about 30 seconds screwing around downshifting but he got it up.. ANd then went wildly out of control legs flailing everywhere. Kept it up, but the bike slapped down like a belly flop..I couldnt control my laughter as i passed him back up and saw 2 saucers where his eyes used to be.. lol.
As far as that clutch, dont ride it till you figure out whats shkin itself loose. I also had a GS1000 that blew the clutch apart, destroyed the motor.
Attachments:

More
29 May 2007 11:12 #144564 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Newbie needs some big help !!
look at the links on the home page, you amy find a used one in good condition form some of the places shown

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
29 May 2007 13:14 #144610 by another82kz
I talked to Jeff at Z1 ( Very Very nice guy ) He tells me it may not be that bushing that is bad , but instead to check the clutch springs on the basket itself . The bushing I am being told is supposed to have a little play in it anyhow . If this is the case I am going to buy the new spring set from APE and see what happens . If thats all it is sweet if not Im sure I'll have about 10 million more questions before the week is over .

1982 KZ1000LTD
1974 Superbeetle
1999 Grand Cherokee

More
29 May 2007 14:23 #144627 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic Newbie needs some big help !!
if it is the springs on the basket itself, i don't believe you can change them.
i think you might be thinking of the pressure springs.
i could be wrong about being able to replace the springs in the basket.
i just replace the basket because i'm allready this far and clutch baskets are kind of cheap.
intresting to see what you come up with now that mine developed a rattle under the clutch cover today.
and of course i don't have one for a j motor laying around.

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.