high idle

More
22 May 2007 14:38 #142507 by udder
high idle was created by udder
hey guys im still fighting a high idle here. thing wont idle under 2 grand. if i back the idle bolt out then it will die, but if i keep it at 2 grand itll stay put. also one in a while if im at a stop light ill pull in the clutch and the idle will start to shoot up a bit if i let the clutch out just a bit itll drop, but i dont let it out enough to engage. sprayed around the boots and found no leaks. backed the throttle linckage barrel all the way out and actuated the throttle by hand and the same things happened. i did this to try and rule out the throttle cable. was i correct in trying this? any suggestions. oh yeah 3 of 4 plugs have good color the odd ball isnt bad but im trying to get the mixture correct.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 May 2007 16:44 #142552 by cuddies
Replied by cuddies on topic high idle
My first guess would be an air leak. Seems you have ruled out being in the booties, so I would look at all other sources. I have seen mentioned on here that a loose exhaust and/or bad seals can cause an erratic idle.

More
22 May 2007 17:13 #142561 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic high idle
Random thoughts --

Ignition timing set correctly?
Advancer unit stuck open?
Points clean and gaps correct?
Should have a little slack in both throttle cables where they attach to carbs.
Uncertain about "backed throttle linkage barrel all the way out", but assume meaning maximized slack in cables to assure complete closure of carbs.
Any carb work performed before the idle problem arose?
Carbs in sync?

Keep the faith. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
22 May 2007 17:20 #142564 by Patton
Assuming these are the stock carbs with pilot mixture adjusting screws underneath the carbs closer to the engine side of the carbs. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
22 May 2007 17:22 #142565 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic high idle
I don't think 78 1000 have the emissions system, or I would of told you to check those vacuum lines to the valve. I have been riding a bike with a small crack in the vacuum line for like 3 months, with a high idle problem and I used to lightly apply the clutch to control the idle and I used to have a fuel milage that sucked...... 43 miles to the tank.

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

More
22 May 2007 18:41 #142589 by udder
Replied by udder on topic high idle
oh yeah forgot to mention one little thing :whistle: :whistle: :blink: i have 34mm cv carbs on it. carbs have been dipped and went over. everything looks in order. no visable holes or tears in the diaphram, slides move freely. carbs are no syncronized yet. that thought came across my mind but thought i should look elsewhere 1st and then sync last or am i wrong? :blink:

More
22 May 2007 18:45 #142592 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic high idle
I dont think synching will help, just smooth out your idle.

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

More
22 May 2007 18:59 #142596 by Patton
Believe should first assure earlier noted ignition components being up to specs before assessing performance of carbs. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
23 May 2007 03:26 #142683 by udder
Replied by udder on topic high idle
i have dyna electronic ignition. anything i can do with that?

More
23 May 2007 04:28 #142688 by AR15Ron
Replied by AR15Ron on topic high idle
Not familiar with your carbs but I would think air leak, or need to adjust air mixture screws (if you have them) My bike would not idle at all until those were adjusted right. it exhibited similar symptoms as yours. Would only idle high, and it was rough.

More
23 May 2007 04:57 #142697 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic high idle
Adjust the throttle cable so that there is visible slack. If you have a Dyna S ignition, check timing with a timing light for both 1&4 and 2&3 pickup coils.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
23 May 2007 12:19 #142816 by cafekz750
Replied by cafekz750 on topic high idle
I am not trying to be a jerk but I experienced the exact same problem with my KZ750 last week. I had no idle unless it was at 3000rpm. I tried the spray trick around the boots with WD-40 with no results. Frustrated, I then tried starting fluid and the bike idled up when I sprayed the #2 cylinder. I pulled the carbs and checked the boots for cracks. There werew none, but all of the screws holding the boots were loose! 3 cylinders were still sealing well but I couldn't believe the screws turned so easily. So now I recommend starting fluid for checking air leaks. I hope you find the problem.

1981 KZ750H2 - V&H 4-1 pipe, pods, jetted, clubmans, homebrew rearsets, 18" rear wheel and more.
Parting out a 1982 KZ750H3 to fund future projects
2 other non-Kawasaki motorcycles