Clutch Won't Disengage

More
22 May 2007 08:42 #142397 by Norseman
Clutch Won't Disengage was created by Norseman
I really need some help here - my clutch won't disengage. Good tension on lever, cable moves free, adjusted clutch release on crankcase and cable adjusters per factory manual, but to no avail.

It worked fine when I started working on carbs and returning to airbox system from pods, and did the valve clearance. Bike runs great now, but the clutch won't disengage.

The bike shifts between gears fine without engine running (obviously can't test when running).

I need to get the bike running asap, and need some guidance on what to do and where to start. I'm desperate!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 May 2007 18:40 #142587 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic Clutch Won't Disengage
Ok Norseman Open the oil cap and look inside and see if the clutch loosens up when you disengage the clutch.... You may need to use a screw driver to touch the plates and check to see if they move. If not the clutch is not ajusted off the flywheel enough, IF you haven't done it right!

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

More
22 May 2007 18:41 #142590 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic Clutch Won't Disengage
Also I trust you have all the bolts tightened on the sprocket cover!

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

More
22 May 2007 20:37 #142629 by Norseman
Replied by Norseman on topic Clutch Won't Disengage
Thanks, kzwoldsr, they are separating and actually works now. I think the problem was the plates were gummed together. When I checked the oil level, I noticed it was way high, so I drained the oil. What I got out was 5 quarts of liquid. The oil had a very strong gas odor with viscocity not much more than water, so I assume the bike must have sat for a very long time with the petcock open (non-vacuum, after-market) allowing more than a quart of gas to drain into the crankcase. Either that or the PO over-filled the oil by a significant amount.

However, just before shutting it down, the clutch finally kicked in, so there it is... Thanks again for responding!

More
22 May 2007 20:37 #142630 by Norseman
Replied by Norseman on topic Clutch Won't Disengage

Post edited by: Norseman, at: 2007/05/22 23:38