Re use clutch cover gasket?

More
21 May 2007 15:32 #142099 by old650
Re use clutch cover gasket? was created by old650
Repacking my clutch with new friction plates/steel plates and springs. The frictions are soaking in fresh oil as I type. So, a couple of questions: 1. Over night a good enough soak time for the frictions? I'm assuming that it is. 2. Clutch gaskets for 30 year old bikes don't hang on trees around here, so I cut one out from a roll of gasket material and it's fairly complete, but the smaller holes are a pain. Well, maybe I'm just lazy.:whistle: Anyway, when I poped off the clutch cover the ENTIRE gasket that I put on there a couple of years ago (I replaced a bunch of seals) came with it, perfectly intact! All I would have to do is wash it down with an apropriate solvent and gently scrape off a minimum of the old non permanent sealant. Do you see this re using as feasible?, as the gasket is in perfect shape, sealed to the clutch cover, and will need a minimum of cleaning. Just wondering if I can get away with this little "cheat".

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 May 2007 16:03 #142113 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Re use clutch cover gasket?
If it's not broken, heck yes, you can reuse it. What a nice stroke of luck.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
21 May 2007 18:53 #142182 by old650
Replied by old650 on topic Re use clutch cover gasket?
Great ! That will same me some hassle. Thanks for the quick reply.;)

More
21 May 2007 18:55 #142183 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Re use clutch cover gasket?
Same thing happened to Me a while back...had to pull the cover off to replace the clutch,and yes...I re-used it,and a year later,not one sign of oil has passed by it...go for it!(just keep an eye on it,obviously)

Good luck B)

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
22 May 2007 09:29 #142411 by old650
Actually, upon closer inspection I found that the gasket has separated from the cover in a few places. I took the gasket off and used it as a template. This is fine with me because now I can make this gasket easily, any time. I cleaned it all up and applied the sealant last night. I'm jut rounding out the holes with an exacto knife as I type. It came out perfectly fine. I'll put the cutch back together this afternoon after I take care of a few things. Days off? Pffft, I run like a rabbit half the time on my "days off".

If you still want those rocket pants Sandy email me your address. I dug them out of storage.;)

More
22 May 2007 09:50 #142416 by flht1997
Replied by flht1997 on topic Re use clutch cover gasket?
3.86 at Z1 cant hardly beat that, shipping might cost a bit though.
www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=2686

Matt Milwaukee, WI
75' KZ400, (5) 78' KZ400, 76' KZ 750, 78' KZ650
78'CB750F, 78' CB550K
89' BMW R100RT
05' H-D Electra Glide
06' KLR650
Do it right or don't bother doing it at all.

• riverroad
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
22 May 2007 10:04 #142423 by riverroad
Replied by riverroad on topic Re use clutch cover gasket?
When I worked at a naval shipyard years ago I learned a gasket making technique that will work for this. What we did with various steel or cast iron castings was to lay the gasket material across the gasket surface of the part, and then take a ball peen hammer and pound all the inside and outside edges and the holes, and that was it. The hammer impacts the gasket material against the part edges and hole edges and cuts through. But on these aluminum castings you don't want to pound all the way through the material. You just want to mark the edges and holes with the hammer, then go back and cut through the edges and holes with a blade and/or hole punches. Great for when you don't have an old gasket to use as a template.

More
22 May 2007 10:56 #142442 by old650
Thanks guys. Although I know all these tips and have been ordering off and on from Jeff @ Z1, I sure don't "know it all". There are still fixes/procedures that I have never performed on my bike, but I have replaced/repaired A LOT of items on the old war pony. Jeff is a square deal/fair shake at Z1, but I just don't want to wait 2 weeks for the gasket to slowly cross Canada. I've been riding for a month already.:cheer: As I said, I DO NOT know it all but have been frequenting KZR for 3-4?, 4-5? years now. My silver 650 is one of the first posted in the 650 bike pics area under my old avatar luvmykaw. My bike still looks the same on the outside but has plenty of new guts inside.:)

More
22 May 2007 18:14 #142574 by old650
Put everything together this afternoon. No oil leaks and perfect function, after a couple of clutch adjustments. The clutch feels like it has waaaaayyyy more engagement spread now, not so abrupt. It's also sweet to twist it on the highway and just GO instead of hearing it go falsetto and jam out! ;) I'll change out the oil and filter in 200 K or so. Another never before attempted job that came out well, with the help of KZR members..... Thanks. :cheer:

More
22 May 2007 20:03 #142620 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Re use clutch cover gasket?
Right on Chris...big difference,it sound like.
Ya done good,Bud!B)

(email sent,btw)

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
23 May 2007 13:48 #142846 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Re use clutch cover gasket?
Another trick I have used over the years is to apply a thin oil coating on both sides of the gasket prior to putting it on. The oil keeps the gasket from sticking to the engine and covers. Then when you go to remove the cover the gasket can be re-used.
I have used the same gasket over 5 times without a leak using this technique.

More
24 May 2007 11:28 #143131 by old650
baldy110 wrote:

Another trick I have used over the years is to apply a thin oil coating on both sides of the gasket prior to putting it on. The oil keeps the gasket from sticking to the engine and covers. Then when you go to remove the cover the gasket can be re-used.
I have used the same gasket over 5 times without a leak using this technique.

Hmmmm, interesting. I may well try that the next time I have to "go in". I just went out to check the bike for seepage and it's oil tight, level is perfect and all is well. I have been afraid to not use sealant for fear of leaks. However, with this info I may try it as the rubber based paper gasket material I use is a teeny bit thicker than factory stuff. I appreciate any tips on easing maintenance or keeping the ol' war pony alive. Thanks.;)