Poping while excelerating...help!

More
19 May 2007 21:02 #141630 by DinOwnSu
Poping while excelerating...help! was created by DinOwnSu
Hello all,

Im a noob to the forums and a proud owner of a 1977 KZ650. I just got it running with a friend and it may have had some bad gas while sitting, but when I accelerarte it pops like crazy and I have very minimal exceleration. Just wondering if this is a carb or timing issue? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Dino

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 May 2007 01:21 #141648 by FloridaBiker
Replied by FloridaBiker on topic Poping while excelerating...help!
Can you define the popping noise better?

Which of these do you think it is - or could be?
DETONATION
BACKFIRE THROUGH CARBURETOR
ROD OR MAIN BEARING KNOCK
VALVE CLATTER

More
20 May 2007 06:46 #141668 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Poping while excelerating...help!
Could be one thing or a whole pile of things.
How long was it sitting ?
Was it running well before it was left sitting ?

First thing I would do is drain the carbs and gastank and fill up with fresh. Then start with the ignition.
Minimal acceleration would make me wonder if it is running on all cylinders - spray water on the exhaust pipes. If it sizzles right off then it's running on that cylinder.

Do you have a manual ?
The bike probably just needs a good service - timing, valves etc.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
20 May 2007 07:00 #141673 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic Poping while excelerating...help!
Welcome to KZr DinOwnSu.

Like suggested, drain all of the old fuel and use new fuel.
From the your description it sounds like one of the points is sticking and/or corroded, so that would be the next area after adding new fuel that I'd recommend checking into. :)

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
20 May 2007 08:52 #141696 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Poping while excelerating...help!
Welcome! New bike? Bet you want to jump on and ride. Before doing so, I suggest you either get the bike tuned professionally with an emphasis on a full check of all safety items such as brakes, fluids, cables, etc. If you want to give it a shot, purchase either a Clymers manual or a Kaw Factory Service Manual and go through the full tune up and maintenance schedule. It isn't really common for a bike to backfire/pop when accelerating. This indicates that air is getting into the combustion chamber so I would strongly suggest that on top of the tune up and maintenance, buy new exhaust crush gaskets, new carb holders and check the caps on the carb holders as well. Your popping/backfiring suggests the possibility of engine damage otherwise as cold air focused on your piston crowns can hole the pistons.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
21 May 2007 07:25 #141962 by DinOwnSu
Replied by DinOwnSu on topic Poping while excelerating...help!
Sounds like it's poping from the carb and the exhaust. If I had to guess Iwould think it's a carb issue. I have a buddy that is a motorcycle mechanic and he says he thinks the carbs may be sucking in air. If so it's minimal air it's sucking in.

More
21 May 2007 07:54 #141973 by kawtoy
Replied by kawtoy on topic Poping while excelerating...help!
You can test to see if the carbs are sucking in air. You can spray some WD-40 or starter fluid onto the carb boots, intake boots and vaccum ports. Just do one carb at a time. If the idle jumps up then you have an air leak. Make sure to spray the undersideof the boots as well. Be very carefull witht he starter fluid. You should have a water hose with you for two reasons. Mainly because the starter fluid is very flamable and also because it can eat through paint if left on for too long. Spray the carbs a little and if then rinse with water, then repeat. If you keep a nice puddle of water on the engine cases then it shouldn't hurt the paint too bad.

Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

• riverroad
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
21 May 2007 09:16 #141996 by riverroad
Replied by riverroad on topic Poping while excelerating...help!
Might weant to check and make sure your ignition advance weights aren't frozen too while you're at it.

More
21 May 2007 09:25 #141999 by DinOwnSu
Replied by DinOwnSu on topic Poping while excelerating...help!
I appreciate everyones feedback and I will start with changing the carb holders and exhaust gasgets here soon. I really appreciate the help and hope to get on the road soon.

Thanks again,
Dino