mm, vance and hines fitment question

More
18 May 2007 16:22 #141358 by themachine
mm, vance and hines fitment question was created by themachine
i got a J model vance and hines 4 into 1 megaphone off of ebay, is there supposed to be a clamp where the megaphone connects to the header?

or is it supposed to slip on the header very tightly?

mine won't slip on but did'nt come with a clamp, it looks like if i took a dremel to the inside of the megaphone i'd be able to slip it on.

82 kawaski csr1000 Evolved into a streetfighter.

I love Speed! Hot Nasty Badass Speed!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • Visitor
18 May 2007 16:34 #141360 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic mm, vance and hines fitment question
normal occurance;)

More
18 May 2007 17:00 #141364 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic mm, vance and hines fitment question
All the horror stories about too tight fitment between canister and header on V-H may result simply from the chrome plating being a little too thick.

No clamp is used.

Not long ago, Z1E's Jeff Saunders wrote:
The primary issue we've seen with V&H pipes is the muffler being too snug to easily go over the collector...too much chrome on the inside of the muffler. Usually a light sanding on the inside of the muffler will clear this up. V&H may have addressed this as the most recent pipes we've sold have not generated any calls from customers...V&H is a little quieter...

Took my new V&H to the local muffler shop guy who put an expander tool in the canister and with one quick adjustment had it fitting perfectly and with no chrome damage whatever, actually no visual difference at all, just a nice easy snug perfect fit. Took about 5 seconds. Slick as a whistle. He just smiled and said, "I'd marry that!" Installation did not require any lube or sealant of any kind, and no leaks whatever. This cure seemed almost miraculous compared to the alternatives.

IMO grinding is not the answer. Would also forget about super heating canister to fit onto frozen header, because once it cools, it becomes permanent thereby disallowing necessary fitment adjustments.

Believe extra thick chrome is a good thing. And dreaded the prospect of attempting to sand or grind chrome from a circular surface, whether inside the canister or on outside of the header, and manage to maintain the perfect circle needed for precise fitment with no leakage. A cylinder hone might do okay inside the canister -- but still removes the chrome.

Save your time, energy, muffler, and dremmel wheel. And just pay a quick visit to your local muffler shop.

The canister tab was slightly misaligned, but easily adapted to fit with a short metal strap between it and the rear peg bolt. FWIW, I 've always used a small rubber "motor mount" sandwiched between the canister and bike frame to eliminate vibration from this area. The mount is a small rubber cylinder with 1/4 inch bolts coming out both sides, about one inch long with male threads. Works like a charm. ;)

One exhaust clamp was difficult to fit over one header flange because of a rough spot on the flange. In this case, a quick light hit with file or dremel is okay -- won't take much.

Couldn't be happier with the new V&H system. :)

And don't forget to also order the V&H competition baffle for "off-road" use. :P

Post edited by: Patton, at: 2007/05/18 20:02

Post edited by: Patton, at: 2007/05/18 20:03

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
18 May 2007 22:40 #141413 by themachine
Replied by themachine on topic mm, vance and hines fitment question
i'm not going to run a baffle.

theres a couple of assholes in my hood who's car alarms i plan on setting off daily, especially at 5:30 in the morning.:evil:

i cant take the drag car to work every day so i have to make a substitute.

82 kawaski csr1000 Evolved into a streetfighter.

I love Speed! Hot Nasty Badass Speed!!!