KZ440 bogs when hot has no power

More
15 May 2007 10:21 #140281 by mnielsen
KZ440 bogs when hot has no power was created by mnielsen
I have a 1980 kz440. I've had it out for a few weeks this spring. Changed the oil, and put in new plugs for the season.
It starts great and runs smoothly until it heats up.
When it gets hot, it bogs down and feels like it's running under water. If I let it sit and cool down, It picks up pretty well again. I didn't have this problem last week, but coming in to work yesterday, I lost power and had to limp in.
I did some searches and the suggestions I saw were to check the coil and the valve clearance.
Are there any other suggestions? Or is anyone dealing successfully with a similar issue? Did I do something that broke something?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 May 2007 11:23 #140297 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic KZ440 bogs when hot has no power
Valve clearances are checked and set when engine is cold to allow for the decrease in gap as the engine warms. So valves barely closing on cool engine may begin leaking more and more as the engine warms and the gaps disappear. And this causes loss of compression and loss of power and other bad stuff. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
15 May 2007 11:34 #140309 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic KZ440 bogs when hot has no power
OOOOOOOooo yeah. Ditto to that!

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

More
15 May 2007 11:51 #140326 by Link14
Replied by Link14 on topic KZ440 bogs when hot has no power
Sounds exactly like what was happening to my KZ400 until I took it to the shop. Started great, ran great until hot, then would bog down with no power.

My mechanic found one of my carb diaphrams was partly torn. If I understand the mechanics correctly, the diaphram causes the needle to raise, mainly between 1/2 to 3/4 throttle, allowing more fuel to flow. I'm guessing that when the engine got hot, the diaphram got more plaible and the hole stretched out. This eliminated the vacuum and the needle wouldn't rise up, causing the engine to bog down. Fortunately Ray had a used diaphram and slide in his boneyard so it only cost an arm to fix. Runs pretty good now.

The other problem he discovered was a split in my vacuum petcock diaphram causing fuel to dump down my vacuum line. I've gone from 20 mpg to 42 mpg since that was fixed, but I'm not sure what kind of performance problems that was causing other than fouling the plugs.

Good Luck!

More
15 May 2007 11:52 #140327 by Link14
Replied by Link14 on topic KZ440 bogs when hot has no power
:pinch: duped again

Post edited by: Link14, at: 2007/05/15 14:54

More
15 May 2007 12:11 #140333 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic KZ440 bogs when hot has no power
These samll displacement engines are expecially sensetive to air/fuel variations. My bike did not idle for crap when I got it, I assumed the carbs where pluged but they were not. The problem was air leaks at the carburator holders and the wrong type of air filter. When I got the air filter issue fixed it ran like it was new. So the smallest thing can make these motors problamatic. Getting these motors out of sync ( what happened with one torn carb diaphram) makes them run like crap under load. Also causes strange noises, vibration, and wierd feelings when riding them.

If I knew what I was doing all the time life wouldn't be any fun.

'80 KZ650 E 700cc, dyna ignition and coils, frame up restoration, daily driver
'81 KZ1300 A3 full restoration, custom big bore pistons, 1400cc 6 cylinder super bike
"77 KZ650 B1 - Barn Find, work in progeress
"74 Yamaha DT 400 Enduro

More
15 May 2007 13:43 #140361 by mnielsen
Replied by mnielsen on topic KZ440 bogs when hot has no power
SO, Friday I ran fine, Saturday I changed the oil - and adjusted the idle and it ran great, but I didn't run it hot till Monday.
Could my idle adjustment have been the culprit once it got hot?

More
15 May 2007 14:21 #140368 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic KZ440 bogs when hot has no power
I don't think the idle adjustment has anything to do with the problem. The idle is just that, idle speed.
I would go through all the tune up steps in the manual first, including the valves. See what happens, if the problem is still there then write back.

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
15 May 2007 19:11 #140446 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic KZ440 bogs when hot has no power
Idle adjust is not your problem.. could be a few other things.

Tight valves, that is really bad...

Your ignition advance may need to be lubed, when it gets hot it is sticking mabey.

If it sputters or pops I would suspect the coil, plugwires, ignition, etc.

This one may sound dumb, but verify your brakes don't hang up...

Chack you plugs and see if they are white, brown, black, or oily.

Post edited by: Tyler, at: 2007/05/15 22:16

If I knew what I was doing all the time life wouldn't be any fun.

'80 KZ650 E 700cc, dyna ignition and coils, frame up restoration, daily driver
'81 KZ1300 A3 full restoration, custom big bore pistons, 1400cc 6 cylinder super bike
"77 KZ650 B1 - Barn Find, work in progeress
"74 Yamaha DT 400 Enduro