Removing Head on KZ750

More
14 May 2007 19:46 #140044 by youthenme
Removing Head on KZ750 was created by youthenme
I am currently doing a top-engine rebuild on my 1983 KZ750 LTD bike. I am having a hard time removing the head. Is their something special I can do to get it loose?

I thought this was going to be the easy part :-). I bought a rubber hammer (which maybe is to small) and swung at the head a number of times pretty hard and it still doesn't budge. I understand that I do not want to wedge anything between the seal as it could damage the head but I do not know what else I can try?!

I have to admit that I am new to this and that anybody with any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all in advance!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 May 2007 19:57 #140050 by reborn650
Replied by reborn650 on topic Removing Head on KZ750
Hey youthenme. Welcome to Kzr

My guess is that you forgot the two bolts that sit underneath the center camshaft sprockets that join the head to the cylinders. Take a close look with a flashlight in the center area at the front and the back of the head. These two bolts are often forgotten.

If I remember correctly they are 13 mm and probably at least 45 mm long. You will need a long socket and extension for your ratche.

Remove them carefully as you don't want to drop them down through the cylinder opening (where the cam chain comes up to the top) to the crankshaft as this will involve considerably more work to get them out. I would suggest stuffing a clean rag down into the opening so nothing falls in.

Are you sure that your bike is a 1985 Kz 750 LTD. That engine looks like a 750 twin from the picture.

Cheers-Colin Firth-Ontario Canada

Post edited by: reborn650, at: 2007/05/14 23:04

-1977 Kz650 Custom bought new by brother. Now with 810 kit, GPz750 cams, intake valves, Mikuni 29 smoothbores, velocity stacks, Dyna Igntion, MAC pipe and other goodies.
-1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi Red/Tan
-Toyota FJ Cruiser - 6 speed tank
-2010 Mazda CX-7 Turbo (my bride's)
-1998 Jeep TJ Wrangler 4.0...

More
15 May 2007 08:42 #140257 by Frank
Replied by Frank on topic Removing Head on KZ750
there are actually pry points on the head if its a four, don't go crazy on them though.

More
15 May 2007 18:35 #140437 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Removing Head on KZ750
That looks like a 750 twin to me :)

Those small center bolts are external on the 750 twins. look between the carb mounts on the underside of the head for the rear one, and between and below the exhausts for the front one. The bolts go in upside down IIRC.

The 750 four has them on the inside in the cam chain tunnel, I just pulled the head and block on my 750E the other day :)

KD9JUR

More
19 May 2007 12:57 #141535 by youthenme
Replied by youthenme on topic Removing Head on KZ750
You guys are amazing! I missed the bolt in the front between the exhausts!

Unfortunately, I am still unable to get the head off the bike for whatever reason. I am assuming I do not have to remove the value cover and values. Also, I noticed these four metallic plates that look to be used for moving oil through but maybe they need to be removed? I took a picture and pointed the red array at them. I am curious to hear your thoughts.

Again, I am very grateful for your help! I cannot stress that enough!

Post edited by: youthenme, at: 2007/05/19 15:57
Attachments:

More
19 May 2007 16:46 #141571 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Removing Head on KZ750
Um, there are head bolts under those plugs :)

You did get the two bolts that go in from the bottom behind the carbs right?

Use a cam cover bolt and screw it in the hole in the middle of those plugs, then just pull them out. They just slide in there.

8 head bolts on top, three bolts that go in from the bottom.

Post edited by: steell, at: 2007/05/19 19:49

KD9JUR