Spark Plug Holes

More
12 May 2007 17:08 #139505 by WSU_rider
Spark Plug Holes was created by WSU_rider
Hey everyone,
I am having problems with the spark plug threads on my stock '78 KZ 1000. It seems that the actual threads in the cast head are breaking off and coming out when I stick a little duct tape down the hole and swirl it around. I have pulled out chunks this way, and it is happening on 3 out of the four holes with the number 2 cyl being the absoulute worst. I know about the Helicoil option, but rather than spend money on having a shop Helicoil three holes, should I just invest in another head? Do I have any other options? Thanks for any advice.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 May 2007 17:46 #139520 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Spark Plug Holes
Most heads you pick up on eBay or elsewhere may have the same issue. I suggest that if you have a couple of plug thread holes that need fixed, remove the head and fix them. Put in a solid insert; not a helicoil and use one that is held in place with anaerobic thread locker. I use NAPA insert for this reason. Get the longest ones they have and cut them to length as they will come either short or too long. Just put inserts in each hole while the head is off. Re-install the head with a new head gasket.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• wireman
  • Visitor
13 May 2007 13:22 #139718 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Spark Plug Holes
put some antiseize on plugs before you screw them in;)

More
13 May 2007 14:05 #139728 by Samwell
Replied by Samwell on topic Spark Plug Holes
WSU_rider wrote:

Hey everyone,
I am having problems with the spark plug threads on my stock '78 KZ 1000. It seems that the actual threads in the cast head are breaking off and coming out when I stick a little duct tape down the hole and swirl it around. I have pulled out chunks this way, and it is happening on 3 out of the four holes with the number 2 cyl being the absoulute worst. I know about the Helicoil option, but rather than spend money on having a shop Helicoil three holes, should I just invest in another head? Do I have any other options? Thanks for any advice.

This might be what you're looking for:
www.timesert.com

later...

--
Current Rides: 2013 BMW R1200GSW, 1972 BMW R75/5
Current Project: 1978 KZ1000A2: Supercrank'd by Falicon, APE studs and nuts, Dyna Green coils, powder coated frame and fenders, Stainless brake lines, dual front discs, pods, Kerker Exhaust, 1075cc with JE pistons

More
13 May 2007 15:49 #139747 by cuddies
Replied by cuddies on topic Spark Plug Holes
Are these holes not tap-able, or what?

More
13 May 2007 20:48 #139808 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic Spark Plug Holes
listen to the all wise wireman!
anti-seize (a good cooper colored one) is your best friend with spark plugs.
samwell is on the money with a timesert idea.
trust me, i know.
every damm bike i ever bought had a insert put in that came out with a plug change.

Post edited by: kawsakiman, at: 2007/05/13 23:51

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.