high compression: what is?

• cottoncandyninja
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 May 2007 08:02 #139186 by cottoncandyninja
high compression: what is? was created by cottoncandyninja
hey, im sure some of you have seen my previous posts prattling on about wiseco pistons and the 810cc kit. well ive got them and i had my cylinders bored out to each piston so theyd all fit correctly. then the other day i was bopping around on kzzone.com and saw they have heavy duty engine studs. and then i searched them on the forum here on kzr and saw the mixed results of guys changing and not changing (mainly a leaky head gasket that lead to stretched cylinder studs, yikes!) and worried if i should burn the extra cash on switching over to the ape studs (getting the ape nuts as well). but before i did anything drastic i contacted rob at z1 and asked him his opinion on the whole matter. he said i should leave it be since im not running high compression. what i forgot to mention to rob was that i put in the wiseco kit that bumps compression to 10.25:1. but what im not sure of is if he knows this already (me and rob have talked several times to the point of him knowing what bike i have now, or at least hes really good at making me think he knows) and still considers 10.25:1 not a high compression ratio. ive seen that ratios can go higher, 12, 13, even 14:1. so im wondering if anyone has any input on this as to whether its something i should even worry about or not. im not drag racing, but im one of those people that likes to do thing right the first time so that way i dont have to rip it apart all over again just to fix one minor mistake that could have been nailed back when the bike was apart. help me out. what do i do?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
11 May 2007 08:11 #139192 by Pterosaur
Replied by Pterosaur on topic high compression: what is?
cottoncandyninja wrote:

...im not drag racing, what do i do?

Ride it.

Since you're not a stoplight squirrel that thinks life doesn't begin until 9 grand on the tach, you'll be fine.

Just make sure everything's put together right - and those head bolts are torqued to spec. ;)

• cottoncandyninja
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 May 2007 08:17 #139194 by cottoncandyninja
Replied by cottoncandyninja on topic high compression: what is?
yes sir!

More
12 May 2007 00:27 #139338 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic high compression: what is?
You don't need them.

Jay

More
12 May 2007 07:23 #139372 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic high compression: what is?
Rob is fairly right most of the time. he gave me a couple tips already that I followed so hes good to go. I wouldn't say your compression isn't too high at all, factory spec is 10:1 or is it 9, forgetting already at this age, what will happen when I get older

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

• wireman
  • Visitor
12 May 2007 09:08 #139385 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic high compression: what is?
APE Jay wrote:

You don't need them.

Jay

if jay says you dont need something,ya dont nee itB)