Clutch doesn't fully release

More
08 May 2007 15:10 #138310 by codetonic
Clutch doesn't fully release was created by codetonic
1988 KZ1000P:

After the engine warms up, the clutch doesn't seem to disengage completely. At a stop sign it acts like an automatic transmission by gently pulling forward. I've taken all the slack out of the clutch lever cable adjustment but no change.

Is it time for a clutch replacement?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 May 2007 17:00 #138340 by arobsum
Replied by arobsum on topic Clutch doesn't fully release
you need slack. the clutch cable is too tight as the bike warms up. loosen it up a little bit.

More
08 May 2007 17:02 #138341 by tjettim
Replied by tjettim on topic Clutch doesn't fully release
Most likely a broken clutch plate.

More
08 May 2007 17:03 #138344 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Clutch doesn't fully release
Have You adjusted it right at the adjuster on the side-cover?
Sitting on the bike,it's on the left side,right at the front sprocket.There's a small plate that You remove,and the adjuster is in behind that plate/cover.

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
10 May 2007 23:40 #139125 by dknoel
Replied by dknoel on topic Clutch doesn't fully release
I had the same trouble with my Honda when I first got it. It was so bad you could not shift out of gear when stopped unless you shut off the engine. Many cable adjustments, clutch lever adjustments, and headaches later, I discovered that one of the clutch plates was installed facing differently than the rest. The slight bevel in the plates from the stamping process must all be in alignment. I can't say I discovered this on my own though. I read it somewhere and checked for it when I finally put a new clutch in the bike. Fixed forever now. Hope this helps.