Timing symptoms?

More
07 May 2007 06:56 #137842 by twist
Timing symptoms? was created by twist
Hey all,

My '80 750 twin (21 k on the clock) has developed a couple of new "sounds" after some routine maintenance (oil change, new clutch cable, new engine case bolts). It has developed a serious front end (cam chain?) rattle and she won't hold a steady idle (up-down between 1000-3000 rpms). Not to worried about the carb idle, but the front end noise has me stopped.

I've done an small (by the shop manual) adjustment to the camshaft chain, didn't appear to need much. The result of course, was no change to the "rattle". Could an engine with poor timing cause the same sound? If the engine is out-of-time, would it sound like a slack cam chain? I guess my question would be what does poor engine timing sound like. Valves sound like a can of marbles? Hmmm....

I have also never replaced cam chain guides, or cracked the top of this engine, and I'm thinking
that kind of work is beyond my ability.

I can do a timing adjust, but I'm afraid that if this requires cam chain guides being replaced, I'm outta my league. Shop manual has no detail on doing this. Anyone out there with suggestions would be a big help. Thanks!

~
twist

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 May 2007 23:35 #138435 by MDawnz1
Replied by MDawnz1 on topic Timing symptoms?
Do the cam chain again .There is NO small adj. Its either right or...
And check for an air leak on the intake side .

If it didnt make the noise before , then look for something that you changed while working on it .

The loping idle sounds something is NOT back in the same place as before you started .

And look at your throttle cables where they split .
Under the tank.
If 1 got bumped out , It WILL make it sound like it's a box of rocks.

1974 Z1a, still 903

More
09 May 2007 04:59 #138470 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Timing symptoms?
seems like I remember somone on here saying that the carbs need to be balanced, if not it creates a cam chain noise

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
09 May 2007 14:33 #138627 by twist
Replied by twist on topic Timing symptoms?
Thanks! I will have to pay some attention to the carbs next, and check for a leak. Not having one before doesn't mean something hasn't slipped by.

I would have to say the cam chain adjustment is right on then... If I have worn guides (too much slack), then I have to figure out how to replace them (if I can get them) or the chain. Too bad the shop manual doesn't cover that! I'll clean carbs first...

BTW, the guy that sold me this bike suggested I just ride it till it frags, the part it out...ummm, no.

About carbs, I have been searching for Seafoam for 6 months, and no one local has it, anyone have a source? thanks...

~twist

More
09 May 2007 21:12 #138740 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Timing symptoms?
Don't know where your located but I wandered into my local PepBoys and it was right on the shelf!

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!