kz750 shaft drive to chain?

More
06 May 2007 18:31 #137708 by 84kz700
kz750 shaft drive to chain? was created by 84kz700
I spun the rod bearing on my kz700 (see other post) so to save time and money I just bought a used kz750 motor that runs good but the problem is, the 750 was shaft driven and my kz700 is chain driven, so is there any way I can put my sprocket on in place of the shaft drive, without spliting the case?

THX

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 May 2007 18:59 #137723 by steell
Replied by steell on topic kz750 shaft drive to chain?
Short answer, No.

Long answer:

You need to split the cases on both motors, take the output shaft out of your 700 and install it in the 750. You will have to use the 700 sprocket cover and possibly the trans cover behind the sprocket.
The hardest part is scraping the gasket off the case halves prior to putting it back together

KD9JUR

More
06 May 2007 19:10 #137727 by 84kz700
Replied by 84kz700 on topic kz750 shaft drive to chain?
I already have my 700 case split, and of course I couldnt get away without spliting the good runing 750 case:side: also, why will it be so hard to scrape the old case gasket off? Oh, and where would be the best place to buy gaskets? I will be needing a case,base, and head gasket......

THX AGAIN!!!

More
06 May 2007 19:47 #137756 by steell
Wait till you try to get that gasket off :evil:

I swear Kawasaki used some super secret glue that they obtained from some alien civilization to glue the gaskets on the cases and the base gasket. You putting your 700 top end on the 750? I assume that's why you want head and base gaskets. On second thought, I don't actually know if you can split the case without removing the cylinder block, every one that I have done I always had to remove the cylinder block for other reasons. After a little more thought I remembered the secondary shaft is in the bottom case half, and it's connected to the crank by the primary chain, so yep, you have to remove the cylinder block.

The best place to get KZ parts that I know of is www.z1enterprises.com/ , if it's not listed on the site simply call or e-mail them.

I use up a bunch of single edge razor blades on the base and case gaskets, buy a large box.

Post edited by: steell, at: 2007/05/06 22:52

KD9JUR

More
07 May 2007 04:08 #137824 by 84kz700
Well I was planing on puting the 750 topend back on (I am just going to use the output shaft off of my kz700 so I can put my sprocket onto the kz750) But my next question is, will my kz700 carbs feed the 750 enough fuel or will they need rejetted? The reason why i need the gaskets is because of the fact that I have to take the head, cylinder, and case apart inorder to change the output shaft.......Sorry about all of the questions, but I am really a "noob" at this (only thing I am used to working on is small 2 stroke engines) but I am learning fast!!!!

More
07 May 2007 06:12 #137834 by steell
The carbs will "Probably" work fine just the way they are, but there is no way to know for sure until you try them.

On a 750 twin you have to split the cases just to replace the clutch basket, so don't feel bad :D

KD9JUR

More
07 May 2007 10:10 #137896 by Frank
Replied by Frank on topic kz750 shaft drive to chain?
If the kz700 and kz750 use the kehin 34mm carbs the jetting is slightly different. I don't have my book with me here at school but there is a difference in the main jets, someone here should be able to tell you.

More
08 May 2007 04:15 #138100 by 84kz700
Well the engine build has started :) We already have the kz750 going back together (with the kz700 clutch assembly and output shaft)Hopefully the motor will be done today and in the bike! Then tomarrow we will try to fire it up........Only thing I am worried about is the timing (never set timing on an overhead cam motor) but we marked the cams and flywheel and will put them back to the exact same position there were in when we tore it apart, hopefully that will keep the timing set....Well stay tuned for pictures and updates (I will probably have more questions)

More
09 May 2007 19:15 #138707 by jordan172005
Replied by jordan172005 on topic kz750 shaft drive to chain?
My friend and I have been working on this engine for the past few days. His computer is out right now so I have made an account to post for him. We got the engine together and thought everything was good. We went to put the cover on the left side of the engine ( when sitting on the bike ) and it doesn't sit right, clutch doesn't work right, gears don't work right. We think we have the synchronizers?? in the wrong spots on the gears and clutch. So we have to tear it back apart and fix it. Now the question for you guys. We marked the cams and flywheel so we could put the engine back in time but is there a correct way to do it? Here are some pictures of the progress that now needs to be redone.hopefully this works... a link to my photobucket album... s89.photobucket.com/albums/k220/jordan172005/

Tell us what you think about the timing or any thoughts or comments on the project we have going here. Thanks

More
10 May 2007 05:56 #138816 by steell
It sounds like you don't have a manual, if that's true then download one from kz.mbsween.com/ .

You did use the 700 trans and sprocket covers, right?

I don't think it's possible to assemble the trans wrong, but is possible to not have the shafts in the right position in the case.

KD9JUR

More
10 May 2007 06:26 #138832 by jordan172005
Replied by jordan172005 on topic kz750 shaft drive to chain?
The only thing that is from the 750 is the crank, rods, bottom case half, cylinders, pistons, and rings. Everything else is from the 700. You know how the gears and clutch sit down on the fork type things? well I think we have the gears sitting in there wrong. We looked at the other case half and gear and it can go in wrong very easily. I'm downloading the manual now so it should help with the timing? I'm going to start tearing the engine off again while he's at work. Hopefully this will be the last time it's off.