GPZ 550 Valve Timing

More
05 May 2007 14:54 #137363 by Shoey949
GPZ 550 Valve Timing was created by Shoey949
I recently adjusted the valve clearences on my bike and am in the process of doing the valve timing. I own a Haynes manual and have been following the instructions in it. The manual says to have the "EX" mark of the exhaust cam to be lined up with the first pin on a link and that the mark should be parallel to the head. I have found that it is closest to parallel when the mark lines up with the second pin in a link, I was told this was due to chain stretch(b/c of funds new chain isn't an option). So what takes the upperhand here, making the most parallel or abiding by the first pin of a link rule. My other issue is that I have found that the haynes and clymers manuals for this bike are contradicting. Both say that the intake mark should be between pin 43 and 44, however the haynes states to begin counting at the pin which lines up with "EX" mark and the clymers says to start at the pin above it. So essentially the clymers has one more pin between the intake and exhaust cams then the haynes does.

Note the clymer's mentions nothing about the "EX" mark having to be at the first pin of a link.

I am incredibly confused, please help!

'83 GPz550H2 w/'81 GPz 550D1 engine
Dynojet Stage 3 kit, MAC 4-1, UNI Pods, DYNA coils and plug wires, WG ignition mod

Grand Rapids, MI

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 May 2007 22:57 #137491 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic GPZ 550 Valve Timing
The problem is that the EX line does not line up with a pin. It is closer to one than the other, but is not exactly on a pin.

The clymer is wrong with the ZERO-pin statement.

I put a big post up on the gpz site with photos and details.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.