pipes cool to touch

More
04 May 2007 20:01 #137201 by yellowbike
pipes cool to touch was created by yellowbike
thanks to some help on here i finally got my bike to start and stays running. bike has four into 1 pipes. the 1 and 4 pipes are hot to touch, but the 2 and 3 pipes are warm but can touch. what could the problem be. i did check the coils for voltage and they are both the same. swapped plug wires between 1/4 coil to 2/3 coil and still have 2/3 just warm. i have only let it run about 1 minute at a time. afraid might damage something if running to long. any feedback would be great bike is an 80 1000

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 May 2007 20:27 #137211 by kawtoy
Replied by kawtoy on topic pipes cool to touch
If you have an extra plug laying around hook it up to #2 or #3 and lay it against the block to see if you see it arc. I would make sure the plugs are new as well. If you get a spark then it is a carb or valve issue. Let's start with the easy stuff and go from there.

Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

More
04 May 2007 20:29 #137212 by 2bskor
Replied by 2bskor on topic pipes cool to touch
TRY SWAPPING OR EVEN BETTER YET CHANGING THE PLUGS MY BIKE USUALLY ACTS LIKE THAT AT THE FIRST OF THE SEASON MAYBE NOT YOUR PROBLEM BUT A VERY EASY INEXPENSIVE START.

SOMETHING I LEARNED FROM SOMEONE ON THIS SITE IS TO POUR WATER ON YOUR EXHAUST PIPES THE HOT CYLINDERS WILL STEAM OFF AND THE COOL CYLINDERS WILL RUN DOWN THE PIPE WITH A VERY LITTLE BIT OF STEAM SAVES THE FINGERPRINTS:evil:

1979 KZ1000ST (Canadian) Electronic Ignition, 4 into 1 header,K&N air filter

More
05 May 2007 12:05 #137335 by yellowbike
Replied by yellowbike on topic pipes cool to touch
ok getting spark at all plugs, just put new ones in today. 2/3 a little warmer but 1/4 pipes get hot real quick. took plugs out after running about 30 seconds and 2/3 plugs had very slight oil and gas mixture on them. 1/4 plugs very hot with only slight gas and no oil on them what so ever. what should i check now? bike starts without a problem, idles good (1500 rpm), sounds good, little hesitation when hit throttle hard but not bad, no backfiring

More
05 May 2007 12:29 - 03 Dec 2008 11:35 #137336 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
del
Last edit: 03 Dec 2008 11:35 by JMKZHI.

More
05 May 2007 13:05 #137342 by kawtoy
With the bike running pull the #2 and #3 plug wires of of the the plug, one at a time and see if the idle drops. If there is any change then the plug is firing and you ar getting at least a little fuel. If not then try putting the plug wires on very slowlt and see if the idle jumps or not. Basically you are trying to get the plug to arc to the wire. Makes the spark hotter. Wear some gloves and be ready for a little shock. Nothing bad but just warning you. Try tht on each dead cylinder. If still no change then put the wires back on and then try to spray a little starter fluid in the #2 or #3 carb and see if the idle jumps. Let us know what happens.

Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

More
05 May 2007 13:35 #137347 by vach
Replied by vach on topic pipes cool to touch
You might try swapping the coils. The 2-3 coil might be weak under load. I had a similar problem, ended up putting new coils and went to electronic ignition. Problem solved. If you have points the 2-3 might be messed up, weak spark under a load. the gap might be too small or too large. I'm not sure but my guess is ignition on the 2-3 side...

1979 kz650 B. Chicago, Illinois

More
05 May 2007 14:08 #137355 by yellowbike
took 2 and 3 plug wires off plug one at a time and didnt phase rpm. took 1 and 4 off and quit running. am i not getting enough spark at those plugs then? they do spark when held against the engine block. had lights off in garage, definately sparked. did spray starter fluid into 2 and 3 carbs and bike stayed at same idle. did same with 1 and 4 and bike bogged for a sec then back to idle. so i take it that i am not getting gas to 2 and 3 cylinders.

Post edited by: yellowbike, at: 2007/05/05 17:11

Post edited by: yellowbike, at: 2007/05/05 17:32

More
05 May 2007 14:38 #137361 by tjettim
Replied by tjettim on topic pipes cool to touch
It does sound like a coil.Mine started to foul
plugs once in a while.I installed some Andrews
coils and the problem went away.

More
05 May 2007 14:55 #137364 by yellowbike
any idea how much coils would cost. should i like on most mechanical things, if there is more than one part the same replace both just because.

More
05 May 2007 15:32 #137372 by kawtoy
To make sure it's the coil just swap them around. You can't just swap the plug wires on the coils, you have to swap the coils themselves over. Easy to do and it will let you know for sure if the coil is bad or not. While you are there make sure all you connections are clean. If any rust or corrosion just sand them down a bit to get to the bare metal. I forgot to mention that when you spray the starter fluid you shoud have the throttle opened up a bit. If not the it will bog just like you founf out cause it is getting too mch fuel and not enough air. Keep us up to date and don't worry, we will get this figured out. Don't go spending a bunch of money yet.

More
05 May 2007 15:47 #137374 by vach
Replied by vach on topic pipes cool to touch
Sounds like a bad coli or points are messed up. Do you have points? Take the coils out and switch them around so the 1-4 coil is now th 2-3 coil. Have you looked at or adjusted your points? You are getting gas, you're just not burning it. The fact that it's on the 2-3 side, I say coil or points. Just because you're getting spark with your naked eye doesn't mean the coils are firing correctly under a load(the bike running) Here is a link to coils and new ignition. You should do this upgrade so you never have to worry about it again. Points suck!! Always adjusting and fiddling with them. Just be done with it and upgrade!! Seriously, swap the coils out and see if the problem doesn't show up on the 1-4 side. The thing about upgrading is once you do it you don't have to mess with it anymore. better milage, power and most of all less trouble.
www.kzzone.com/igpage3.html

yellowbike wrote:

took 2 and 3 plug wires off plug one at a time and didnt phase rpm. took 1 and 4 off and quit running. am i not getting enough spark at those plugs then? they do spark when held against the engine block. had lights off in garage, definately sparked. did spray starter fluid into 2 and 3 carbs and bike stayed at same idle. did same with 1 and 4 and bike bogged for a sec then back to idle. so i take it that i am not getting gas to 2 and 3 cylinders.

Post edited by: yellowbike, at: 2007/05/05 17:11<br><br>Post edited by: yellowbike, at: 2007/05/05 17:32

1979 kz650 B. Chicago, Illinois