how can you tell..

More
04 May 2007 19:28 #137175 by squints
how can you tell.. was created by squints
how can you tell if an engine still works on a "barn find" Its '78 kz650b and i want to know if its worth putting time and effort into. Would love to restore it to its former glory. I put a battery in it and tried kicking ot over a few times and nothing really happened? Any pointers on where I can go from here?

traded my classic Kz's for a 2001 Kz1200r

Upstate NY

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 May 2007 19:57 #137198 by austin3119
Replied by austin3119 on topic how can you tell..
Carbs are probably all messed up. Mine had been sitting for a long time too and started with the kicker although fuel was going everywhere with the stuck floats. Maybe put in some fresh gas , starter fluid. At least the engine isn't seized. I bet it wouldn't take much to get it running. Probably just a fully charged battery, carb rebuild, change the oil and fresh gas.

Good luck.

More
04 May 2007 20:30 #137213 by kawtoy
Replied by kawtoy on topic how can you tell..
Best way to tell is with a compression tester. Then you can tell if the valves are working and that the rings are still good.

Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

• wireman
  • Visitor
05 May 2007 07:41 #137280 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic how can you tell..
well id say the fact you can turn it over is definately a good sign as long as nothing goes clunk its probably salvagable;)

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
05 May 2007 19:38 #137449 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic how can you tell..
If it's got compression but it's low and has spark, even if the carbs are green from old fuel, open up the throttle all the way and shoot some WD40 in the back of the carbs with the air filter removed. It should run a few seconds.

It doesn't buy you much, but you'll feel better!

;)