Changing Cams and Valve Clearances

More
04 May 2007 09:40 #137035 by reborn650
Changing Cams and Valve Clearances was created by reborn650
Hey gang - I am swapping the hotter Gpz 750 cams into my 650 head. The Kz750 exhaust cam tach drive gear decided to disintegrate last week and now is as good a time as any to put in the hotter Gpz cams which I picked up from kawasakiman (thanks Steve.)

DKMK (Dave) and I were just speaking on the phone and we were both curious as to what I might expect as far as any valve clearance issues or changes I may encounter.

The Gpz 750 cams have higher lift and more duration than the Kz750 cams. My clearances were just checked a couple of weeks ago and came in from 0.08 - 0.15 mm.

I have Gpz750 intake valves (trimmed 15 thous) and stronger springs in the ported and milled 650 head. I only had 10 thous taken off the head to clean up the mating surface.

So, with these newer cams, will I be looking at putting in thicker shims to keep the clearances within spec?

Cheers-Colin Firth-Ontario Canada

Post edited by: reborn650, at: 2007/05/04 12:41

-1977 Kz650 Custom bought new by brother. Now with 810 kit, GPz750 cams, intake valves, Mikuni 29 smoothbores, velocity stacks, Dyna Igntion, MAC pipe and other goodies.
-1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi Red/Tan
-Toyota FJ Cruiser - 6 speed tank
-2010 Mazda CX-7 Turbo (my bride's)
-1998 Jeep TJ Wrangler 4.0...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 May 2007 10:47 #137058 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Changing Cams and Valve Clearances
it will be the base circle of the new cams that you are installing, the only way to find out is to put the smallest shim in and figure out how much of a shim you will need, but I wouldnt think that there would be too much a change though

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
04 May 2007 14:18 #137100 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic Changing Cams and Valve Clearances
BSKZ650 wrote:

it will be the base circle of the new cams that you are installing, the only way to find out is to put the smallest shim in and figure out how much of a shim you will need, but I wouldnt think that there would be too much a change though

Correct. Milling the head has nothing to do with valve lash clearances.

Jay

More
04 May 2007 16:09 #137130 by reborn650
Replied by reborn650 on topic Changing Cams and Valve Clearances
APE Jay wrote:

BSKZ650 wrote:

Correct. Milling the head has nothing to do with valve lash clearances.

Jay

Jay - I just opened the package from Z1Enterprises with the APE manual cam chain adjuster I bought. What a beautiful machined piece of artwork that is. I should've got one last year and saved myself a lot of hassles and repairs.

So, guys, even with the new higher lift cam I should be pretty close with the current valve clearance which are all in the 0.08-0.15 mm range, is that correct?????

Cheers-Colin Firth-Ontario Canada

-1977 Kz650 Custom bought new by brother. Now with 810 kit, GPz750 cams, intake valves, Mikuni 29 smoothbores, velocity stacks, Dyna Igntion, MAC pipe and other goodies.
-1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi Red/Tan
-Toyota FJ Cruiser - 6 speed tank
-2010 Mazda CX-7 Turbo (my bride's)
-1998 Jeep TJ Wrangler 4.0...

More
04 May 2007 22:23 #137250 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic Changing Cams and Valve Clearances
Glad you liked it.

Your clearance adjustment will only be as close as the base circle diameter of the two cams.

Jay