have no idea now

More
28 Apr 2007 15:43 #135028 by yellowbike
have no idea now was created by yellowbike
have really strong spark at spark plugs. volts read 12.4 at coils. it started one time the other day and then has not started since then. tried kickstarting and turning the ignition with key. acts like it wants to start but just wont. any help would be appreciated. this is an 80 kz1000 b4 with pods and 4 to 1 exhaust

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Apr 2007 16:05 #135032 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic have no idea now
Are your plugs wet with gas? Maybe your not gettin any.

Fuel valve is ON? Check the bowls for gas by opening the drain screws and see if they drip. Could be dirty carbs, blocked fuel line/screen, blocked gas cap vent (open cap and try starting).etc.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
More
28 Apr 2007 16:26 #135037 by Duck
Replied by Duck on topic have no idea now
If it has never run right for you and you've never checked, make sure compression is good. Otherwise, it's a mixture or timing problem. Inadequate fuel level in bowls will screw up mix so check flow from tank.

-Duck

More
28 Apr 2007 16:57 #135053 by yellowbike
Replied by yellowbike on topic have no idea now
compression where it should be, carbs have been cleaned, carbs have fuel in bowls, we checked the timing, just tried the gas cap open and took fuel lines off and turned pet on and fuel goes through. this is why i am totally stumped. thanks for your help so far

More
28 Apr 2007 17:22 #135060 by kawtoy
Replied by kawtoy on topic have no idea now
Did you try new plugs yet? I don't mean clean the old plugs, I mean NEW plugs. I always start with plugs first and then go from there. Also taking the plugs wires off and then letting them just sit on the plug, making an small air gap between the plug and the wire pickup. The gap will cause a hotter spark and will often be enough to kick the bike over. Also make sure the wires are going from the coils to the correct cylinders. These are easy checks. Sorry if they sound elementary to you. You did not mention how much mechanic experience you have.

Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

More
28 Apr 2007 17:27 #135063 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic have no idea now
Put it on prime. Mine does that same stupidness almost every cold morning, not even choke will help. I use starter fluid most of the time but I try not to, but try prime or fluid and it will start and run after that.

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

More
28 Apr 2007 17:29 #135064 by yellowbike
Replied by yellowbike on topic have no idea now
not much experience with bikes but lot with smaller engines. wires to the plugs and plugs are new. this is when it started and has not again. have not tried the just sitting on the plug way yet though. will try it.