Harley mufflers?

More
21 May 2007 11:21 #142022 by Draco
Replied by Draco on topic Harley mufflers?
KaZooCruiser,
I've been interested in doing this mod on my 750.
Would you happen to know if any other mods would be required when changing to HD take-offs? Jetting, etc?
Also, what HD models work for this mod? Thanks for your input.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 May 2007 15:39 #142103 by neilage66
Replied by neilage66 on topic Harley mufflers?
KaZoo...glad everything worked out for you on this one. Looks like a pretty good seller you were dealing with there.

Draco: Those silencers are off HD 883 Sportsters from about 1994-2000.

:)

• KaZooCruiser
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 May 2007 12:07 #142466 by KaZooCruiser
Replied by KaZooCruiser on topic Harley mufflers?
Draco wrote:

KaZooCruiser,
I've been interested in doing this mod on my 750.
Would you happen to know if any other mods would be required when changing to HD take-offs? Jetting, etc?
Also, what HD models work for this mod? Thanks for your input.

Hi Draco . . . Neilage66 did this swap on his Honda CX500 and it's a twin, and my bike is a quad, so I would guess that whether you have a twin or a quad my guess is yes, it will work. I reposted my pics, with part numbers, to maybe help someone contemplating this to acquire the correct parts.

KaZooCruiser wrote:

The short one on the top is part number:
65657-82A

That was the one which was misboxed.

The other muffler is part number:
65747-94

It was stamped as for a FXD 1340.

The two below are both 65747-94's.

The mufflers which arrived in replacement Friday were both 65747-94's. But they were stamped as spec out for both FXD 1340 and 1450. Lots bigger than a 650.

My bike is performing much better. Write up to follow. I don't know what it is. These things are substantially quieter than what came off. Maybe the broken crossover had something to do with loss of power and certainly noise.

I don't know how a muffler designed for a larger engine can impact stock jetting, when the initial result seems to be quieter operation. If you have plugs in the headers, I guess you could put a gauge on them to check back pressure before and after.

More
22 May 2007 15:58 #142543 by neilage66
Replied by neilage66 on topic Harley mufflers?
The mufflers I used had "tab" mounting points as opposed to the "slotted square stock" that is apparently welded to yours ...probably the difference between a pig and a hog (Sporty vs 1340 or 1200)...B)

Sorry, don't know part number for the ones I got. :S