Harley mufflers?

• KaZooCruiser
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
27 Apr 2007 14:39 #134755 by KaZooCruiser
Harley mufflers? was created by KaZooCruiser
Where to start. . .

Since I had such great results with my inexpensive Sportster shock conversion, and no real success with finding a NOS exhaust for the 45k system I now possess, thanks to Neilage66, I had the idea of swapping out my horrid-looking mufflers for some E-bay Harley takeoffs.

I have found a trustworthy welder, and plan to have him weld in the mufflers and repair my broken crossover once I have the parts in hand.

I'm thinking this whole thing will come in well below what I would have to spend for new aftermarket, and probably will sound pretty good; not too loud, because it is new EPA DB take offs. The obnoxious stuff is aftermarket. Here is my question, I didn't see much information in the forum.

While I have the header pipes off, I want to treat them in some manner to extend their use, stopping the rusting that has started, etc. 30-year old heated chrome is kind of blued in spots, corrosion, that kind of thing.

Powder coating is a 400 degree process, and the person I talked to said it will burn and flake off almost immediately. The chrome shop machinist pretty much said the same thing. Turns blue. I really don't care for chrome. You ever run low on gas while running you get instant blue anyway. Don't ask me how I found that out.

:lol:

So what has worked for ones who have walked this path? What did you do, and how has it stood the test of time and use?

Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Apr 2007 16:19 #134783 by Muddy
Replied by Muddy on topic Harley mufflers?
Try these guys. www.jet-hot.com/

I know a lot of sportbike guys use them, I'm planning on talking to them about my M4 system headers on my TL1000R.

More
27 Apr 2007 18:41 #134826 by customkzft
Replied by customkzft on topic Harley mufflers?
I Am using harley mufflers on my bike, I used roadking takeoffs and they are great! I have a few sets around my garage, the harley dealer here tosses the stock mufflers so i've found a home for them. I have a few extra sets, some are from roadkings and others from softails both would work for you. you can check out my gallery or my forum post with pics of my bike with the pipes ;) :) ;) B)

• KaZooCruiser
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 Apr 2007 10:09 #134979 by KaZooCruiser
Replied by KaZooCruiser on topic Harley mufflers?
customkzft wrote:

I Am using harley mufflers on my bike, I used roadking takeoffs and they are great! I have a few sets around my garage, the harley dealer here tosses the stock mufflers so i've found a home for them. I have a few extra sets, . .

Way cool responses . . .Jet hot will be hearing from me. . . good to know this actually might work. . .these particular mufflers are what I am looking at, and if you had some, what would you charge. Customkzft, what did you do to match up the differences between diameters?

I like the look of these

More
28 Apr 2007 19:46 #135118 by neilage66
Replied by neilage66 on topic Harley mufflers?
Here you go KaZoo.

I really like the mufflers I installed on the CX500 fwiw. B)
Attachments:

More
29 Apr 2007 01:02 #135169 by customkzft
Replied by customkzft on topic Harley mufflers?
yup, I have those. I'll take $30 bot them, plus shipping. sound good?

• KaZooCruiser
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
02 May 2007 11:02 #136464 by KaZooCruiser
customkzft wrote:

yup, I have those. I'll take $30 bot them, plus shipping. sound good?

Sounds great. If the ones I won off E-bay don't show up, you are going to be the one I talk to next. Already had the auction in place.

Winning bid: US $13.01

:cheer:

• KaZooCruiser
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
08 May 2007 14:06 #138282 by KaZooCruiser
Well, project seems to be coming along.

I contacted Jet-Hot, thanks to the tip from Muddy, and I have to say after reviewing the information packet, I'm impressed. . .

E-mail response:

Return-Path: <todd@jet-hot.com>
Mon, 30 Apr 2007 14:29:19 -0700 (PDT)

Jonathan,

We really appreciate your interest in JET-HOT. This e-mail has your PRICE ESTIMATE, some technical information you need to have, along with a discount offer.

JET-HOT is the number one supplier of ceramic coated headers in the world. We invented this coating and have over 20 years of experience in the science of engine exhaust technologies. We also want to let you know that we just sent you, by priority mail, information that should help you make your decision. You should have this within a few days. This packet contains several independent technical articles, a JET-HOT 20 page brochure, and a video.

We'd charge $160 to coat your headers in the 1300 Sterling finish. Add $20 for the matte black, blue, grey or copper finish. The gloss black is $50 additional and has an 1100ºF tolerance. We'll need them here for 5 days plus shipping time back. If the parts are chrome or nickel plated, add $40 to the total and 2 days for stripping. Return shipping would be about $34.

Technical benefits for the 1300 Sterling are as follows: Looks great, reduces under-hood temperatures by 50 degrees Fahrenheit and more, keeps pipes about 300ºF cooler, gives you 1-3% extra horsepower, extends average header life by at least 10 times, and improves safety in an accident by reducing the probability of fire-balling. It is also very easy to keep clean. If you use one of the other 1300 colors, they perform as well, but are not as cleanable. I will send you our full information package to get you all the coating benefits in greater detail.

If you upgrade to the EXTREME STERLING you get a coating that will stay shiny 200ºF higher than Sterling, and take a maximum temperature of 1700ºF, though it does have an orange-peel texture compared to 1300 Sterling. It will also provide an estimated 100ºF more of insulation and carries a 5 year warranty. It is recommended for low boost turbo and supercharged vehicles, and lean running EFI cars. Cost is $50 more, and takes an extra 2-3 days to process.

Finally we offer JET-HOT 2000. It does not provide as much insulation as the 1300 Sterling, but this coating can take temperatures up to 2400 degrees. The 2000 only comes in a flat black, blue or grey finish and has a rough texture on the outside(like 150 grit sandpaper). The Jet Hot 2000 runs $100 more than the sterling silver finish. This coating takes 2 days longer than the sterling silver process. We suggest JET-HOT 2000 for set ups with large shots of nitrous, high boost turbo and superchargers, motorhomes and towing vehicles.

$ SAVE 10% $

We are automobile and engine enthusiasts and want to insure your complete satisfaction. Please review all your options. If you inform us NOW that you intend to work with us when you are ready, we will give you a 10% discount from the quoted price. Call or email us to lock in your discount.

All parts receive a 3 year unlimited guarantee that covers chipping, peeling, cracking, discoloration, rusting. New parts also get a lifetime rust-through warranty as well.

Please ship your parts to:

JET-HOT Coatings
2530 Milford Square Pike
Quakertown, PA 18951
OR
5602 Orchard Rd
Pascagoula MS 39581
OR
1840 West Drake Dr
Tempe AZ 85283

Please note: JET-HOT 2000 is only done in the Pascagoula, MS location

Just be sure to include your name and return info so we know who they belong to and specify the finish of your choice. As for billing, you can either include a credit card number with the parts or you can call
one in to the phone number listed below. Please feel free to call or email with any other questions.

Points to consider in making your decision are:
. JET-HOT has an impeccable reputation, unequaled quality and a guarantee. A guarantee we stand behind.
. JET-HOT's parent company, Metallic Ceramic Coatings Inc, engineered our coatings to the third generation which contains silver powders allowing your components to look better, last longer, and utperform all other coatings.
. JET-HOT uses expensive aluminum oxide to clean components. We don't use sand like others.
. JET-HOT applies two exterior coatings and two interior coatings and not just one layer as everyone else does.
. JET-HOT has the most brilliant appearance of any coating, not just an ok or so-so look.
. JET-HOT will work with you to help you achieve your objectives and will gladly provide you with technical know how at no additional cost.
. JET-HOT has the most cost effective pricing and there are no hidden charges.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We can coat almost anything you want including manifolds, oil pans, springs, and a whole lot more!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Our number is (800) 432-3379

YOUR FRIENDLY JET-HOT
TECHNICAL TEAM

The Harley mufflers are due to arrive today.

Post edited by: KaZooCruiser, at: 2007/05/08 17:15

• KaZooCruiser
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 May 2007 12:33 #138966 by KaZooCruiser
Well, a slight setback. Hope the E-bay seller responds. . .

The mufflers arrived as promised, via UPS brownmobile.

What did brown do for me?

Nice, shiney chrome. Two different sizes. . .huh?

One is about 2 inches shorter than the other.

Hmmm, doesn't LOOK like the E-bay picture. . .

I guess I could use 'em anyway, you can't see both sides of a motorcycle at the same time. But I'd rather not, knowwhutImeanVern?

I'll be posting some pictures once I get some extra time.

• KaZooCruiser
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 May 2007 10:12 #139204 by KaZooCruiser
Progress update. . .copy of email sent this a.m.. . .modified slightly for us'n here.

Hello "seller", (confidentiality protected at this point)

I sent you an e-mail from my private e-mail, and maybe you didn't receive it.

The mufflers arrived on the 8th, but what was sent is not what I understood I was purchasing. One of them is shorter by about two inches.

Here is a picture of what I received.

Here is what you showed as what was for sale:

My project is stalled until this problem is resolved. Can you let me know what we need to do at this point?
This guy has lots of positive feedback,
"3473 feedback received by *******(17 ratings mutually withdrawn)" and only 1 negative in a 12 month period. So we will see. . .

I hope I don't have to decide whether I like a shorty on the right, or on the left. . .

decisions, decisions. . .

:dry: :huh: :blink: :(

More
11 May 2007 22:54 #139328 by Bad Kaw
Replied by Bad Kaw on topic Harley mufflers?
Ewwwww...that's a sticky situation. Hope it comes out for you! Keep us posted...project, and the 'drama'.

78 Kawasaki Z1R
81 Kawasaki KZ1000J (mods)
82 Kawasaki ELR Clone (1000 J)
82 Kawasaki KZ750R1/GPz750 ELR-ed
70 Kawasaki KV75
83 Honda CB1100F (few mods)
79 Suzuki GS1000 (rolling frame / project / junk)
84 Suzuki GS1150ES (modified project)
83 Yamaha XJ900R (project / junk)

• KaZooCruiser
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
21 May 2007 11:01 #142016 by KaZooCruiser
Sometimes things move along well, better than you can hope for. . .

<lawoffice.jmg@juno.com> wrote:

Hi Tim, need some help.

The mufflers arrived on the 8th, as promised. But they are differnt sizes. One is about two inches longer than the other. From the picture on e-bay, they looked like the same size, and that is what I need for my project.
What are your thoughts on how we can resolve this?
Thanks in advance.

/s

<closeoutmotorcycleparts@yahoo.com> wrote:

I HAVE NO IDEA HOW THAT HAPPENED BUT I WILL HAVE ANOTHER SET ON THE WAY MONDAY. SO SORRY ABOUT THIS AND YOU CAN JUST KEEP THE OTHER SET THEY ARE OF NO USE TO ME. I JUST R4EALIZED I HAD MY CAPS LOCK ON, SORRY ABOUT THAT. If you ever need anything in the future I will take care of you on it for this mix-up. We just bought another dealership and I have had my parts guys doing the shipping and they have been screwing up quite a few deals but I assure you I will handle this matter myself and email you the tracking info, if you need anything in the meanitme let me know-

Tim Miller

WOW, HEY!!!!
Thank you.
I will need a couple of the band clamps if you can lay your hands on any of 'em. I think I may have found a favorite seller through all of this.
/s

Band clamps? You mean for the muffler ends or for the heat shields? I have both, let me know and I can get this all shipped out today if I hear back form you by 4pm est.

Tim

Hi Tim. . .
Probably too late now, but I was referring to the end clamps to secure the muffler to the exhaust pipe . . .
Was running errands all day, so didn't get to the library computer until just now.
/s

I didn't send them yet beacause I was waiting to hear back form you, but they will go out tomorrow and those are already attached.

Tim
Good morning, Tim.

Got your message this morning first thing. Aprreciate all your efforts. I hope it's ok to send you some pictures of what I am doing once all the pieces parts are in hand.

Thanks in advance.

/s

Got the replacement mufflers Friday at about 6:30 p.m. They were BRAND NEW takeoffs. Rated at 80db. At NO COST. Got them installed by 1:00 a.m. After dinner project.

Update details and pictures to follow.

These things make my bike sound nice.

Kind of like a WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH jet turbine.

:laugh: