And Another Problem.........

More
27 Apr 2007 13:12 #134731 by Skully
And Another Problem......... was created by Skully
After getting all of the wiring issues and bad battery out of the way, I finally got to crank it today. But now the oil pressure light stays on unless it's turning about 2000 RPM's. I put a new Lochart oil cooler on it with American Classix's billet fitting on the block, and -8 braided lines. I checked the in /out on the cooler, and that is correct. I tightened the connector on the oil pressure switch wire thinking a bad connection. Plenty of oil in, stays at the low mark while running, I'm just scared to run it over 30-60 seconds at a time till I figure this little snafu out.

Any idears???

Jim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Apr 2007 13:23 #134739 by patmann
Replied by patmann on topic And Another Problem.........
Just a shot in the dark..you did add more oil to your system when you added the cooler , right???
A cooler and lines take more oil, than a bike with no cooler and lines.
I can't remember right off how much mine took:dry:
Maybe something like 3/4 of a quart more:dry:
Guys help on this one.
Pat

1974 900 Z1 modified to look like a LTD , some engine mods. But I still have all the original parts.
1977 1000 project bike
1972 H1 project bike
If pro is opposite of con, then what is the opposite of progress?

More
27 Apr 2007 15:13 #134761 by arobsum
Replied by arobsum on topic And Another Problem.........
patmann wrote:

Just a shot in the dark..you did add more oil to your system when you added the cooler , right???
A cooler and lines take more oil, than a bike with no cooler and lines.
I can't remember right off how much mine took:dry:
Maybe something like 3/4 of a quart more:dry:
Guys help on this one.
Pat

yep...i learned this the hard way when i was younger.....:lol: :whistle:

More
27 Apr 2007 15:28 #134765 by Skully
Replied by Skully on topic And Another Problem.........
Yep,
I did add more oil, like I said, with the motor running, the oil level is at the low level mark in the sight glass. When I shut it off and wait a while, the glass is completely covered, I'm thinking the oil lines are draining back into the motor.

It was doing fine when I took it apart (about a year ago) for paint and chrome with this setup. The only thing I changed was replacing the 3/8 rubber hoses with the -8 braided hose.

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
27 Apr 2007 18:16 #134820 by KZQ
Replied by KZQ on topic And Another Problem.........
These Kaws run on pretty low oil pressure. How do you know that the oil cooler isn't bleeding off the pressure that the sensor needs to see?

KZCSI

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

More
27 Apr 2007 19:03 #134833 by Skully
Replied by Skully on topic And Another Problem.........
KZCSI wrote:

These Kaws run on pretty low oil pressure. How do you know that the oil cooler isn't bleeding off the pressure that the sensor needs to see?

KZCSI

Yeah,
I kinda thought that too, so I ordered a oil pressure gauge kit just to be safe. I've waited a year to ride it...... What's another 4-5 days!

Thanks Guys!
Jim