Engine rattle / knocking Not tensioner

More
25 Apr 2007 23:26 #134078 by TheDoughboy
Engine rattle / knocking Not tensioner was created by TheDoughboy
Hello All,

My 83 KZ1100 LTD (shaft drive) has always had a knocking at idle, that goes away about 1700+ rpm and is louder when the engine is cold. Still has lots of power. It is not a rod knock for sure.

I replaced the stock tensioner with a manual one, no change in the knocking, but I did hear the Cam chain noise when I was adjusting it. So I did not need the tensioner really, and the knocking is still there.

Pulling the clutch lever in does not change it, so might not be the basket.

The carbs have been synced as well, could probably use a rebuild though. I'm thinking maybe the primary chain, but I cannot find it on the microfiche. I can find the Bevel gear unit, does this replace the primary chain on a shaft drive?

A quick compression reveled 3 of the cyls at 148-155 and 1 cyl at 142. Maybe the hole with the low psi is contributing to the knocking?? The leak down was about 4-7%.

I will get the valve adjust done and redo the compression test and see if it changes anything.

Any other ideas would be very helpful:)

Thanks,

Ron

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Apr 2007 06:43 #134130 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Engine rattle / knocking Not tensioner
Your bike doesn't have a primary chain. The transmission is driven off the crank and the output shaft on the transmission turns the bevel gear which turns the drive shaft.

Someone saying they hear a knocking noise isn't all that helpful for making a diagnosis. Go to an autoparts store and buy a stethescope and see if you can pinpoint the source of this noise. That might help... also, if there is another KZRider member in your vicinity, you might ask for them to have a listen if they have a practiced ear.

Put your location in your sig for this reason... Also, how many bikes have you had experience with? Don't mean to put you on the spot but a KZ can set up quite a racket and be in great health. The more bikes you have owned, the less a noise can catch your attention. In other words, the noise may be normal but has caught your attention so you hear it all the more.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
26 Apr 2007 12:25 #134238 by BSoneil1964
Replied by BSoneil1964 on topic Engine rattle / knocking Not tensioner
I had the same type of noise when I first bought my CSR1000. After a lot of searching I found the problem to be the starter clutch was making the noise. WHat had happened is that the allen bolts that hold it to the alternator had loosened up. Replaced them with new and put loctite on them and it has been good since. I ride my bike daily from Bremerton to Seattle.

Good Luck

More
26 Apr 2007 21:32 #134473 by TheDoughboy
Replied by TheDoughboy on topic Engine rattle / knocking Not tensioner
wiredgeorge wrote:

Your bike doesn't have a primary chain.

I though so since I could not find a chain, just the bevel drive. Thanks for the conformation.

Go to an autoparts store and buy a stethescope and see if you can pinpoint the source of this noise.

I did use a length of hose and it seems loudest at the cylinder base of 2 and 3. Sorry, my first post was getting long so I ommited it, my mistake

Put your location in your sig

My sig says Seattle, just moved to Mukilteo, but still work in Seattle.

Also, how many bikes have you had experience with?

8-9, mostly Honda and Suzuki, this is my second Kawasaki, but first KZ.

I found the problem to be the starter clutch was making the noise.

Hmm, while searching the archives I never read about the starter clutch. But I will be looking into it further, sounds easy to do.

Thanks for the tips guys, keep em coming

More
27 Apr 2007 05:18 #134521 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Engine rattle / knocking Not tensioner
Sorry, I didn't want to assume you had owned other bikes. Many new bike owners hear noises... lots of noises. Also, owners who go from naked bikes to bikes with fairings. Lots of noises there too hehe

The starter clutch won't emit noises from between the 2 & 3 cylinders... that is cam chain territory. If any of the chain dampeners on your bike are worn, this could be where the noise comes from. The dampeners for your motor are quite a bit different than the older style so hopefully an owner can pop in and comment on potential sources for these noises.

The hose will work fine... its just that a mechanics stethescope is pretty cheap that I suggested it. Try putting your ear to the alternator cover and see if that is where the noise comes from. There is oil in the cover so you will have to drain and have a new gasket on hand to do any investigating under the cover.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
27 Apr 2007 07:28 #134559 by TheDoughboy
Hey no problems man :) I will pick up a gasket and check out the alt area, hoping to find a problem. I have been spending a lil money on her and would like to resolve this damn noise.

I have a new set of tires, wheel bearings, fork seals, cruise control, handlebar switches and handlebars to install still.

Ron

Post edited by: TheDoughboy, at: 2007/04/27 10:29

• Grantl
  • User
  • KZRider is Da Bomb!!!
More
27 Apr 2007 09:05 #134591 by Grantl
Replied by Grantl on topic Engine rattle / knocking Not tensioner
Sounds like the same noise I hear coming from around the stator cover-clutch cover area on my 1000CSR. This noise is really annoying and seems more pronounced at cold idle and when pulling away from a standstill. Its not too bad if I apply more throttle at takeoff, but at low throttle it sounds like something is banging around inside the cover. Once the bike is moving under power, the noise dissappears. I will have about 12 KZ riders together to listen to this sound this weekend at the West Coast Ride so I should be able to report back with their collective diagnosis.
Grant

1981 KZ1000 CSR
1983 KZ750 Project Bike
1990 550 Zephyr
1994 KZ1000 P

More
27 Apr 2007 19:52 #134851 by TheDoughboy
Grantl wrote:

Sounds like the same noise I hear coming from around the stator cover-clutch cover area on my 1000CSR. I will have about 12 KZ riders together to listen to this sound this weekend

That is what we need, some "KZ tuned" Ears to help out ;)

Ron