Clutch screw up

More
21 Apr 2007 20:43 #132641 by clubhobo
Clutch screw up was created by clubhobo
Okay I hosed myself up. I can't get the clucth linkage arm/spring on the inside of the sprocket cover to align or fit right. Today I removed the sprocket cover to check the dynamo output because of a battery charging issue I'm having...well...when the sprocket cover was laying down on the ground I accidently pulled the clutch lever in...I saw clutch linkage on inside of the sprocket cover move/engage as if it was operating normally when installed back in the engine..I knew I should try and pull back that clutch linkage before I try and install the sprocket cover back in the engine. I couldn't seem to pull it/adjust where it needed to be. I went and installed the sprocket cover anyway and like I thought....the clutch lever is sunk in and the clutch is engaged because the kick start lever just goes down without resistance....help.. how do I fix this..thanks in advance. D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Apr 2007 21:15 #132651 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic Clutch screw up
Well generally that part in the sprocket cover was supposed to return back to its original position once turned or operated by the clutch cover. Pull the cover back off and operate the lever as you did before and check for the return action. Also put some grease on the clutch pushrod. Also check to see if the hammer end of the clutch cable is stuck somewhere. A clutch is never stuck in the applied position like that

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

More
22 Apr 2007 00:10 #132690 by clubhobo
Replied by clubhobo on topic Clutch screw up
yeah...it felt like the cable was hung up somewhere? It just wouldn't unspring itself. The clutch spring is compressed and wont unflex to the regular position. I know it's going to be something easy...I'll take the sprocket cover off again.

More
22 Apr 2007 11:27 #132765 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Clutch screw up
Is it the same as the 1000?
You probably un-threaded the worm-gear.(to where it came out?)
If that's the case,then You just have to re-align the threads to get it back into the proper range for the clutch engagement.You went too far to the left or right,when You threaded the worm-gear into the carrier.
Easy fix,if that's all it is.
Also...make sure the end of the cable(clutch cover end) isn't hanging up on the lip at the end of the cable,where it goes into the cover.You should also have a spring on the inside of the cover,that goes on the cable before You attach it to the worm-gear...and then a cotter pin to hold the cable in place.

1977 KZ1000 A-1