Noise and drivetrain play

More
21 Apr 2007 18:43 #132623 by Tyler
Noise and drivetrain play was created by Tyler
Hello my 440 Belt makes a soft clunk at low speeds when accellerating and decellerating. The the isolator in the rear drive hub has a little bit of play, the swing arm has a very small amount of side to side play, I think belt is under the proper tesion. When I took the cover off of the drive pulley I put the bike in gear and there was quite a bit of free play there when I rocked the rear wheel. Primary chain and gear s are new. Is this noise normal or sign of too much play in the drivetrain? Bike has 13K on it.

If I knew what I was doing all the time life wouldn't be any fun.

'80 KZ650 E 700cc, dyna ignition and coils, frame up restoration, daily driver
'81 KZ1300 A3 full restoration, custom big bore pistons, 1400cc 6 cylinder super bike
"77 KZ650 B1 - Barn Find, work in progeress
"74 Yamaha DT 400 Enduro

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2007 14:09 #132793 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Noise and drivetrain play
I am going to remove the isolator form a parts bike later today and see if that helps. Any other suggestions?

If I knew what I was doing all the time life wouldn't be any fun.

'80 KZ650 E 700cc, dyna ignition and coils, frame up restoration, daily driver
'81 KZ1300 A3 full restoration, custom big bore pistons, 1400cc 6 cylinder super bike
"77 KZ650 B1 - Barn Find, work in progeress
"74 Yamaha DT 400 Enduro

• Klaus42
  • Visitor
22 Apr 2007 16:50 #132834 by Klaus42
Replied by Klaus42 on topic Noise and drivetrain play
I used to own the '81 edition of your 440, back when they were still 'newer' (mid eighties). I seem to recall there being some play in there, even then; I can only guess that as those rubber bits have aged and hardened some, the play would have increased... How much is too much? I dunno; I'd consult the manual to compare it to spec., or replace the rubber bits.;)