Problem with starting Motor

• dadams7161
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • live to Ride Lifes Better on the Road in the wind
More
20 Apr 2007 22:47 #132453 by dadams7161
Problem with starting Motor was created by dadams7161
OK I got my bike running today and rode it to the end of the street it ran a little rough but it has been stored for 3 years which I expected came back and let it run some more then rode it to the end of the street and it died on me. Here is what I need help with I tried to start it back up but the starter just spun around not turning the engine so I tried the Kick start and it does not spin the motor like it is not catching anything. I can let out on the clutch and the Kick start will turn the engine over no problem but the clutch has to be in fir this bike to start. 1982 KZ750-M1 Twin anybody have any ideas on this. Thanks for any help

1982 KZ750-M1 CSR Twin
3rd Owner of this Jewel
Before and After Photos

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Apr 2007 23:02 #132456 by ronjones
Replied by ronjones on topic Problem with starting Motor
Hey dadams, me again. In order to use the electric start the clutch lever needs to be depressed. When you use the kickstart your hand needs to be off the clutch. You want to be able to use the kickstart to rotate (turnover) the engine, if the clutch lever is engaged then the kick isn't turning over anything. Depressing the clutch lever activates a safety switch so you can't start it in gear.

'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

• dadams7161
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
20 Apr 2007 23:07 #132459 by dadams7161
Replied by dadams7161 on topic Problem with starting Motor
yes but when the clutch lever is depressed the starter just spins but the bike will not start without the clutch depressed even in Neutral. You can kick start it all day with the clutch out and it will not start I was kicking away at it today if you depress the clutch and kick it the motor would start earlier but now it wont. By the way thanks for all the help on the filter

1982 KZ750-M1 CSR Twin
3rd Owner of this Jewel
Before and After Photos

More
21 Apr 2007 05:59 #132490 by Frank
Replied by Frank on topic Problem with starting Motor
Two words: starter clutch. At least that what it sounds like for the electric start no clue about your kick start, it should work in neutral with the clutch in our out as far as i know(never had a kickstart kawi just hondas)

More
21 Apr 2007 08:39 #132508 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Problem with starting Motor
The kickstart spins the trans side of the clutch, so if you have the clutch disengaged the kickstart is not going to spin the motor over (unless the clutch is messed up).

If the starter just spins without cranking the motor, then the most likely cause is the starter clutch. There is also a possibility that the starter reduction is slipping, or the starter drive chain is broke (I have only seen that once). There is a thread on the starter reduction complete with pics, I think in the electrical forum but it might be in the engine forum.

The 750 twin starters are so troublesome that I don't bother to fix them anymore, if the 750 twin is tuned it starts easily on the kickstart.

KD9JUR

• dadams7161
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
21 Apr 2007 09:00 #132511 by dadams7161
after I got to thinking more about what I did yesterday I didnt have the clutch depressed when I used the kickstart. It was a long day for me. It just puzzled me that the starter worked just 5 minutes earlier. Thanks for the help

1982 KZ750-M1 CSR Twin
3rd Owner of this Jewel
Before and After Photos

• dadams7161
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 Apr 2007 11:45 #132769 by dadams7161
well I went back yesterday and got the bike running fine now to get tags tuesday. Thanks for everybodys help here. By the way the started just started working on its ouw after I got it started and rode it. LOL I dont know just hope it keeps working.

1982 KZ750-M1 CSR Twin
3rd Owner of this Jewel
Before and After Photos